Pivoting drawer hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just signed up, at this point I have a fairly good idea of what I'm doing, but have a question regarding hardware for a pivoting drawer.
An unusual request I know, I would be grateful if anyone who has done this before could give me some guidance.

Are knife hinges the way to go or is there something better? What about support?

This is the type of thing I am trying to achieve

Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 17.35.01.jpg

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 17.35.01.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 17.35.01.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 138
Hi & Welcome

tbh wouldn't have clue, and i think you have come to the right place

i would use a metal dowel
a skateboard roller bearing
and a ball roller bearing or 2 for support

i think a better answer will be available soon :D

Steve

Thanks Steve, that was my initial thought, the drawer in the piece above is rated for a weedy 7kg, I want something a bit beefier

other thought is to route out the shelf below drawer along the arc
a metal dowel could run in the groove..attched to drawer

maybe offer a bit more support

I have a couple of under bed storage rollers that I could put inverted on the base of the table so the roller could support the drawer. 10mm veneered drwer bottom should do the job.

Cheers

make the bottom of the drawer flat ( dont have the side hanging or back hanging below ) and glue or screw a sheet of ptfe sheet to the underside of the drawer and one to the sliding area on the base. Its quite cheap and will support the whole drawer, just round over all corners as it gouges a bit easily.

Consider using a thrust bearing rather than a skateboard-style bearing- you want to support force along the axis.

Ebay is a good starting point for these.

Back