Converting slides and negs to digital

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a device for converting a box load of slides to digital. I see there are hundreds of widgets to choose from, just be nice to have conformation that the results from any in particular will be acceptable. Sub 100 quid and standalone or linux and ipad (and windows) compatible.
Thanks in advance

You have a few options depending on the quality you want from them and the film sizes used?

1 - dedicated film scanner - cheap versions at argos/ maplins etc

2 - Flatbed film scanner, better able to do 35mm / medium / large format

3 Lightbox - can be homemade, used with a digital camera

A good used Epson perfection scanner would be and is my preferred option.

I have a basic one from Maplins, the quality is ok for computer use but probably not for printed enlargements. The downside is that its a bit of a fiddle to change the slides or film by hand.

We bought an "Ion Pics 2 SD" stand-alone scanner to convert/backup our many thousands of old 35mm negatives to digital; pretty cheap & cheerful, it produces a surprisingly good result for display on computer or TV. Has the benefit of scanning direct to an SD card, so you can while away a happy hour or two of scanning whilst watching tv... We also have an "Ion Docs2Go" iPad scanner - the iPad docks into the scanner and acts as the screen - for scanning prints. Again, surprisingly good, and can be used for other document scanning as well, of course.

HTH Pete.

p.s. pm me with an email addy if you'd like to see scans from either of these.

Back