Wood I.D please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mar_mite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm pricing to do some alterations to this bar. Can anyone identify this timber? Is it possibly cherry?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 125
Does look like Cherry. I have just compared it to an American Cherry table I have and it's similar but it looks a little bland.

Doesn't cherry normally have more swirls in the grain pattern?

Mick

MickCheese":2k8a5bgm said:
Does look like Cherry. I have just compared it to an American Cherry table I have and it's similar but it looks a little bland.

Doesn't cherry normally have more swirls in the grain pattern?

Mick
cherry was just a stab in the dark really. Maybe the lack of figure in the grain is down to the way the veneer is cut. I just need to source some solid timber for lippings when alter the bar. (If I get the job)

Thanks for the reply.

American Black Walnut would get my vote, more so if it's been made from pre-veneered board, If it's Cherry it has been stained.

If it is cherry surely it would go darker with the sun/day6light. I've used a lot of cherry and although the grain is similar it doesn't quite add up.
Of course if its been stained then it might not change, but there again why would you went to stain cherry.

Well I've done three veneered walnut jobs in the past few months and it didn't strike me as walnut. Might be though, I think walnut can lighten over time. Thanks for the all the responses.

Back