Axminster Edge Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claud1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone own or know anything about Axminster own brand industrial edge sander and where they are made.

Can you put in a link to the item you are referring to ? I am wondering if you meant edge Bander ?

Sounds like you're talking about the big oscillating edge-sander http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-in ... elt-sander

I have one like this, but in the smaller size (6"x90" like the Jet one they have rather than 6"x108"). I got it towards the end of last year, but they must have just stopped selling it as it's not listed now.

I'm pretty certain that the box said 'Made in Taiwan'.

It's very robust and well made.

Dust extraction is very good if you hook up the ports at both ends of the belt and use a reasonably powerful extractor - I think mine does 2000m3. With the two end ports in use I get very little visible dust escaping. There are three extraction ports, the final one pokes out from the underside of the adjustable table on the left for sanding on the radius of the roller, but this one isn't that effective. I usually need access to the radius on the left, so I still use the less-effective port, which means a moderate amount of dust gets into the atmosphere.

It definitely needs a 16amp supply. It goes from 0 to full speed immediately which seems to draw quite a lot for a split second. During this startup mine has exploded a couple of the paper belts I bought from Axminster. These were both brand new, so I can only assume they had small defects on the edges that were unable to withstand the violence of the start.

It's the only edge sander I've ever had - ever seen in fact - so I can't compare it to any others.

Hi, Sorry I should have been more clear, yes it is the 6-90. The reason I am asking is that I hear a lot of negative reports about Axminster's own brand ( although I have bought thousands of pounds worth of goods off them over the years and never had reason to complain ) I still don't want to make a decision on just that basis. I would not like to make the purchase and find that in a few years time If anything went wrong or could not get replacement belts ETC. So all advice will be much appreciated even suggestions for a alternative. I was sold on the Jet one until I watched a Video on Youtube. Thanks again all help will be appreciated. Regards Claud1.

From at the photos of the Jet, I'd say that it looks to be a less well-made thing, but the photo's aren't great so it's hard to say. It is considerably cheaper though.

I'm pretty sure that the 6 x 90 belts are a standard size - the Jet seems to use those too, despite having '80' in its name. Having said that, I've not found many places that sell them. I may get some of these ones:

http://bndabrasives.co.uk/sanding-belts ... d_838.html

I've used Norton sanding pads before and thought they were pretty good. These are £2 more per belt than the Axminster ones, but they are cloth backed.

I was told by someone, that either Axminster biaught jet or the other way around. Either way I believe they are the same machine with a couple of tweaks to justify the price difference. Although as I say, I could be wrong

Thanks for the replies, and if anyone else as any information it will be appreciated.I will try to do a bit more digging before I commit. Thanks again

I bought the forerunner to this machine and did a small review on the forum but the pictures have gone AWOL. At the time there were a few things wrong with it but all got resolved.

I'm very pleased with it now and use it virtually every day.

I see a lot of common components between your link and my machine.

Back