kitchen utensil....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Wife wanted a new rolling pin, so yesterday I made this out of some of the last greenheart I have left over from building my last boat. It is just over 16 inches long, 4 inches in diameter (turned down from 5 inch square stock). and weighs a mere 5 and a half pounds. 43cm x 10cm x 2.4 kilos. I have left the centres on for any fine adjustments and final finish after a few test runs. finish is sunflower oil.

P1010955.JPG

Attachments

• P1010955.JPG
    P1010955.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,344
Sorry if this rains on your parade but when you search wood toxicity greenheart shows some issues that may make it unsuitable for food use eg sensitizer, wheezing, splinters go septic, cardiac and intestinal disorders. It was intestinal disorders that concerned me - although a complete and substantial finish may control it.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic ... -toxicity/

Brian

finneyb":2d7p8b37 said:
Sorry if this rains on your parade but when you search wood toxicity greenheart shows some issues that may make it unsuitable for food use eg sensitizer, wheezing, splinters go septic, cardiac and intestinal disorders. It was intestinal disorders that concerned me - although a complete and substantial finish may control it.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic ... -toxicity/

Brian

Thanks Brian, the real danger is loose bits, especially dust and the splinters are like blackthorn thorns. The wood is very hard and it takes a lot to damage it. Sawing with carbide cutters you actually get the odd spark from it. as I say the dust is nasty stuff. This sample spent a hundred years buried in the mud at Par Harbour in Cornwall as a pier pile. a finished article is pretty much inert, unless it were to get damaged. I used massive bits for engine beds, keels etc. it is irreplaceable to me so I very seldom use it.

I have read through the list and there is no wood in it that is completely safe !

Hi, an interesting post ! Were you a boatbuilder in Cornwall ? I have just googled Par, as that part of the world may be part of my summer campervan trip. I will enjoy looking out and thinking of your rolling pin!
Regards Terry

amazilia":1vain1pq said:
Hi, an interesting post ! Were you a boatbuilder in Cornwall ? I have just googled Par, as that part of the world may be part of my summer campervan trip. I will enjoy looking out and thinking of your rolling pin!
Regards Terry

I built three boats over the years, first 16ft then 20 foot an the last one 28 foot 6 inches. all on the drive of my home. Built for fishing and holidays, used to go to Scilly isles each summer with the Kids and dog.

the greenheart was from piles lifted out of the harbour because the upper parts were worn. The 15-18 feet lengths I had were the bits below the black mud hence the deeper colour. also no oxygen.

Learnt an important lesson today .... dont let the missus duke over your shoulder when reading the forum, apparently this has just been added to my todo list :roll:

What would be the preferred wood for a rolling pin then, her current one has loads of dents from pounding stuff, thankfully not my head ... yet

Oak, beech, chestnut or probably the best Hornbeam.

Note: it is is easier to use if it is heavy as then no need to press down (like ironing).

Back