Where to buy wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsaw

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Newbie here :)

Just taking up the wonderful hobby of Woodworking.

I have a really good PDF about basic box making so thats where I want to start, so my question is ..

Where can I buy the wood ?

I live in the East Midlands, Nottinghamshire and I am not sure where to go from here, should I be looking for local timber merchants ?

The first box I want to make says I need:

White Oak
Baltic Birch Plywood
Hardwood of my choice
Walnut

Any help on where I can source wood whether shopping online or ebay etc would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :D

I use timberscut4u, very good service and quality. Mainly Tulip for cabinet doors etc. A little Oak. Might be expensive for you if you need small quantities as there is admin and delivery charge.

Is the plan American in origin?

Walnut (and American black walnut) is beautiful timber but is expensive, particularly for a first project. White oak is harder to source than European oak.

I would have a look on eBay for a couple of contrasting timbers to use. Choose something you like but not on the walnut scale of pricing- sapele and maple would be a couple of suggestions. Baltic birch may prove expensive too because places tend to sell full sheets

I would try eBay or a local joinery shop that might sell you some off cuts.

A-Ha ! good question and yes you are right, my PDF is Basic Box Making by Doug Stowe and the first box it asks you to make looks like this:

99928091_md.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I haven't had much luck with local timber merchants and others I have found want nearly £20 delivery so evilbay here I come :)

Have you got rough quantities of what you need- they are smaller than I thought. I don't have a lot of much at the moment but might find you a bit of oak maybe.

I don't have any wood at the moment, I bought my first 2.4m plain smooth bit of timber from B&Q recently for about £6 I think but when I got home and looked at it, man it was warped really badly, so I have been messing about trying to create a warped box lol.

I also tried to make my first electronics project and use solar cells to power a motor to turn the wheels of this metal toy bike, its a work in progress but again its the same wood and its badly warped too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm really excited to get involved with woodworking and I would like to create something I could be proud of, but i'm still learning the ropes :)

jigsaw":14bc21u6 said:
A-Ha ! good question and yes you are right, my PDF is Basic Box Making by Doug Stowe and the first box it asks you to make looks like this:

99928091_md.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I haven't had much luck with local timber merchants and others I have found want nearly £20 delivery so evilbay here I come :)
Wood is heavy, so depending on the size of board purchased via evil bay you will get charged anywhere from 15 quid upwards as most use a courier and will do xx kg for £xx

However you may find sellers local to you. I often see them myself. but it's a bit far for me to travel for 1 board etc. ;)

Evening,

First time poster here too!

I am new to woodworking & I live in Nottingham. I bought some Sapele from Fitchett & Woollacots in Nottingham (on Lenton Lane). I am unable to post a link but you can find their website via Google. They have a wide range of hard woods so should be able to help.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the info guys, tonight I had no idea where I was going to get wood from and now I have many options :D

Carl - I just came across a local guy on ebay that sells all different types of wood at good prices, not sure he has my sizes but its a good start so I'll drop him an email.

Thanks spacecadett i'll have a look on Google now see what kind of wood they have to offer.

SORTED :D

For boxes that size you would be really looking for off-cuts, check your yellow pages for cabinet makers, coffin makers, stair makers, engineered flooring etc. and give them a visit, sawmills need to sell whole planks.

Andy

I would echo the poster who suggests offcuts. Here in Reading we have a timber merchants called Arnold Laver (its a big chain that's country wide). They supply the joinery trade but carry a few more exotics like US Black walnut etc. They have an offcuts bin which is usually peopled with slightly warped bits or those with shakes etc. They're never less than a metre and are usually about 1/3 the cost of the A grade stuff from which they were amputated.

I am always raiding that bin and it throws up some fabulous stuff at silly prices. The only snag is that (for you) I can mill it to whatever dimension I need as I have the necessary in my workshop. You will need more planed all round to finished thickness type stock I guess?? So perhaps this idea is of no help thinking about it.

.White oak is harder to source than European oak.

If you go in the timber dealers round here and ask for oak, you will get American white, you have to ask if you want euro and it costs more :(

Back