"Bubble Glass" Door Window

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HootTokh

Reaction score
Hello

I need to replace the glass in a door and would like to use the bubble type glass shown in the attached picture.

Can anyone tell me what this type of glass is called please as the glaziers I have spoken to don't know.

Thanks a lot

P

Attachments

• Door window.jpg
    Door window.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 175
Hi, you may also find it listed as a spun bullion, it used to be the waste left over from making flat sheets and hence the cheap bit, but now they are far more expensive.
You can get two types, one is press moulded, these were popular around 30 years ago. the other is a tru spun one (you can tell this as the middle will have sharp edges where it has been broken off)
Try staines glass suppliers or a reclamation yard

James

Jamesc":1l2h8al0 said:
Hi, you may also find it listed as a spun bullion, it used to be the waste left over from making flat sheets and hence the cheap bit, but now they are far more expensive.
You can get two types, one is press moulded, these were popular around 30 years ago. the other is a tru spun one (you can tell this as the middle will have sharp edges where it has been broken off)
Try staines glass suppliers or a reclamation yard

James

As above, Bull's eyes or Bullions, you can even get them in acrylic! Rodders

Bullseye panels are difficult to come by now. You can pick up glass ones from reclaimation yards but they can cost up to £100 each. Another alternative is plastic or buying from USA.

A source of these is my local stained glass supplierhttp://www.sunriseglass.co.uk/bullions_spun_roundels.html

They are listed at £57.43 plus £10 p&p. I have only dealth with them once and found then a little snooty, but the quality of the galss was good and that is all that realy matters.

You would need to get the round cut to size (you could ask Sunrise Glass) its not a difficult job but many glaziers shy away from it as the glass varies in thickness (obviously) so seems more difficult. I would be happy to cut it for you but as with anyone dealing with handmande glass would have to add the proviso that I could not take any resposibility if it cracks when cutting it.

James

Wow, what a wonderful resource this forum is.

Thank you all for your information.

It is very helpful.

P

Not supposed to use it any more as it has been associated with the sun using it as a magnifying glass and causing fires.

As one who works for a glass and glazing company but does play with wood I would quote the following.

Current legislation states that glass fitted to a door and immediately surrounding said door should be toughened glass together with a cough mark or similar stating that the glass is toughened.

There is one exception that being a bullion that must exceed a 6mm thickness not toughened.

Non compliance would be against building and fire regs and therefore could render any insurance invalid.

We wont supply glass fitted or surrounding a door unless to has been toughened. But I do know some of our customers to lie.

Dave

Back