Bark at this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
OK another wood ID question but this time just from the bark. Two of them I think I know but you never know.

Number 1 & 2 I am told is holly and Number 8 I am sure is Ash as I have turned some of that one
Number 1 all I can say is thank you for a Volvo Estate

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Number 5

Number 6

Number 7

Number 8

wow...a real tricky one Dal. Here's my starter for 10:

3 - Beech
4 - most difficult..has a look of Elder, quite pale and I have some that looks like that but not sure
5 Hazel or birch
6 same as 5
7 looks very like 5 & 6 so unless same dunno
8 looks nothing like the Ash I've used which has noticeable longitudinal fissures in the bark.

not easy but here goes,
1 the bit on the right looks like holly, the other bit looks different?
2 spruce
3 looks like snake-bark maple (acer capillipies i think...)
4 could be hawthorn
5, 6 could be hazel or some sort of fruit wood
7 think same as 5/6
8 the bit in the background on the left looks like ash but not the bit at the front, again could be hazel or hawthorn...

would be easier if we could see the colour of the wood as well as the bark :D

Just realised that number 4 is the same as number 8.

Bob I had my suspension about number 3 being beech but all the pictures of the bark did not show the streaks which is what made me not sure.

Numbers 3 - 8 is what I managed to get from some trees just 4 doors away from some one who does woodturning minimum diameter is 4" and maximum was 7" yet he goes out and buys logs for turning :roll: :roll: :roll:

Woodmonkey when I get a few minutes will try and cut and photograph it have been a bit busy making things for other people. And just when I brought a new toy a Crown revolution hollowing tool.

Number 4 and 8 is the one I used to turn https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/do-you-think-t77161.html

Would have liked to see some side and end grain but going on bark alone........

2, Holly
3, Laburnum
4 Ash
5, 6, 7, Cherry
8, Ash

Andy

I would say number 3 is most likely hornbeam (white timber) but may perhaps be elm (darker heartwood) if you're lucky.

5, 6 & 7 look like hazel to me but might be prunus or even blackthorn. Hazel should have creamy uniform timber whereas prunus will have heart/sapwood and be darker/orangier.

4 & 8 don't look like ash to me though.

Jon

3 looks more like Sycamore to me,

5 6 and 7 look very like a prunus species, plum or cherry or damson, possibly even wild cherry, the blistered look is a key, even blackthorn is a possibilty.

4 looks like Ash and 8 could be too, Ash doesn't have a very striking bark and is not that easy to pick out, twigs and grain make it much simpler.

Thanks for all the thoughts on this I will get out and cut some bits soon, when the weather lets me. Which will let you see the cut wood as well. I may even be able to do some turning between other woodworking jobs which have to be done first, this is stopping me also from having a good play with my new hollowing tool.

Back