Kitchen – Gas Cooker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetty

Established Member
Reaction score
Potential client for a kitchen build wants their gas 'range cooker' placed across left hand corner (diagram below), which is between two windows (openings shown).

Are there any gas or building regs about this. I think this arrangement looks potentially unsafe as curtains on left window [although not currently fitted] could blow near to gas burners. Or debris, leaves, blow in through window and catch fire.

Any thoughts on the arrangement shown most welcomed!

Should be fine but regs require permanent ventilation for any room with a gas appliance. Either an air brick or gas reg trickle vent (one you can't close) in the windows. An extractor will not suffice as they only ventilate when switched on.

As far as placement goes, IIRC, there are no particular regs but common sense should prevail. Maybe fit tie backs to the curtains or remove them altogether?

A few plumbers / gas fitters i have met over the years advise against having gas cookers next to an external door/ opening window as the gas could be blown out while on and you wouldn't know till it goes

I think there may be a minimum distance allowed/ preferred

Thanks for replies, much appreciated. I've now chatted with Gas Safe and the message received was ...think very carefully before proceeding...use common sense... windows have drafts, even those that don't open, window sills hold greeting cards, plus curtains are hung ... be careful...

Thanks again.

Yep, the one near us the bungalow was just a pile of rubbish.

Pete

mmuk are you sure permanent ventilation is required. If the kitchen is greater than 10m3 the only requirement is an openable window. If the kitchen is between 5 and 10m3 50cm2 of ventilation would be required unless there is a door which opens directly outside plus the oipenable window. if any other gas appliances are located in the kitchen this could change the ventilation requirements.
The other requirement is that the cooker should have a gain attached that is fixed to a wall.

I've recently had a gas boiler installed in my kitchen by a Corgi approved plumber and I have no permanent ventilation. Should I have permanent ventilation?
John

John15":226b54pi said:
I've recently had a gas boiler installed in my kitchen by a Corgi approved plumber and I have no permanent ventilation. Should I have permanent ventilation?
John

Depends on the type of boiler it is.

Out of interest, what is the situation with respect to gas appliances in a sealed house with forced ventilation? The vents in our house extract from the kitchen, which might give problems? (Not that there is available gas within 10 miles, though the main from St Fergus to the rest of the country is only 300 yards up the road :( )

Don't modern gas cookers have flame failure devices that turn off the gas if it's there's no flame? I'm sure ours does.

Out house in the UK, built 14 years ago had no permanent ventilation in the kitchen for that gas cooker.

Not all cookers have flame failure devices. Check before purchase, regulations require cookers fitted in flats, and inland waterways boats to be fitted with FFDs.
Other than that, no window hangings, should be able to get within 200mm of any cooker/hob, by any means.

Bod

Latest posts

Back