Total depth clearance required for bench vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
I'd like to ask if anyone has a 230mm or thereabouts bench vice and can give me the total depth, not including any additional jaws mounted, of clearance required from the top of the rear jaw to the underside of the screw thread mechanism please?

After the comments on my recent thread regarding possibly using sash clamps and such instead I'd like to know if my (almost) all in one bench build would accommodate a proper bench vise with alterations.

On a different note, could anybody answer if Danish / finishing oil has a shelf life and if so how long - I'm not worried if it still works but looks a bit iffy as the stuff I have would be used on the bench anyway rather than a project.

Hi Rafezetter, I hope this will help. It's the diagram of a Record vice out of their book 'Planecraft' with some measurements of my own 52 1/2 - which is an excellent, quick release vice, big enough for all my needs. Some of the measurements are a bit approximate where the tape measure was stretched out in the air, but you need a bit of room to get the vice and the fittings in.
(Measurement b may look a bit too big, but that's because the knob at the bottom of the quick release moves down in use - you need room for it to work.)

IMG_2825_zps1b902fce.jpg

And on the Danish Oil question, in my experience if you store it too long you get a dense sticky lump at the bottom and a layer of thin stuff over the top, which is very hard or impossible to remix. You could try warming the can in a bucket of hot water and experiment on a bit of scrap, but don't spoil a good project with it. On my bench I just used plain boiled linseed oil to give enough of a finish to keep it clean. BLO is nice to use and also cheap - only about £3 for 500ml.

Thanks AndyT - that's the kind of info I was looking for - I had no idea it was quite that big - will take some thinking to add one..

For the danish oil, it seems to be OK in the tin, I'll decant it and see what happens - are you basically saying if it's still pretty liquid it's still useable for what I need it to do - adding moisture resistance to the bench and some mdf parts as it'll be outside all the time.

Ahh i see Andy has beat me to it, seems mine is the same model. Might well be up for sale once my new bench is built. :)

Back