Clarke SS MIG wire - what grade is it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Clarke UK don't seem to know (I've emailed them and got a reply of sorts), and there's nothing on the reel to say!

Anyway, all I wanted was to know if it's 308 grade, as I've got most of a reel to hand. I've also got some 316 that arrived this morning. The Clarke reel I have didn't work well on food-grade stainless (that's why I think it isn't 316), although it may have been insufficient shielding gasflow on my part (see gripe about regulator below).

It's really infuriating. Amateur welding here seems to be treated like a game: the equipment is poor quality (disposable regulators being a good example), you can't get half the variety of stuff you can easily find in the USA, and product knowledge is really poor. I want my welds to be good, not waste hours and pounds on rubbish because some part of the setup is wrong.

And yes I am intending to weld cast iron with stainless (because the metallurgy works)...

E.

Latest posts

Back