Making internal household doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnoy66

Reaction score
Noob alert!!

I'm thinking about building my own internal house doors, using the basic method in this 'how to' https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/how-tos/mis ... -door.html

For the infill panel I plan on using 9 or 12mm ply.

The frame will probably be approx 100mm or 125mm wide, so what to use?
36mm ply?
Normal planed timber from a timber merchant?
Other options?

Door will be painted.

I'm assuming the best way to cut the channel is a router as shown in the link. Not got one or used one, but trying to learn about them by reading.
Other way I thought of was a table saw and do several passes, again not got one.....said I was a noob :oops: :lol:

For those wondering why not just buy ready made, I've got a shorter door for an understairs cupboard and want them all to match. Existing doors are basic cheap ones and 20 years old, so way overdue renewing.

All help appreciated, thanks

What tools do you have at the moment?

Are you just making copies of the existing doors? Or are you having a new style?

You could make the doors just with hand tools but that will take a very long time. With rebates/ grooves, mortice and tenons etc

Looking at doing a style similar to pic, might be four cross bars, not sure yet.

Tools, decent drills, power and battery. Jigsaw. Electric mitre saw and general tools. Couple of workmate benches

The corner joints will be doweled and glued, inset panel will be glued too for strength.

I am handy with tools and able to work around problems if they arise

door.jpg

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 103
tnoy66":2sxinlch said:
Looking at doing a style similar to pic, might be four cross bars, not sure yet.

Tools, decent drills, power and battery. Jigsaw. Electric mitre saw and general tools. Couple of workmate benches

The corner joints will be doweled and glued, inset panel will be glued too for strength.

I am handy with tools and able to work around problems if they arise

Sounds like you are at a job interview LOL

If you use real timber for the stiles ( uprights)/ rails ( cross piece) i wouldn't glue the panels in, i would just have floating panels.

Loose tenons would be stronger for the joints. Only needs to be a piece of ply say 40mm wide, 9mm thick and about 100mm long.

Back