Planer / Thicknesser beds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks , can someone please tell me why our workshop P/T has moving beds either side of the blades. Obviously the first part of the bed on the planer needs to move but why does the other half of the bed need to be adjustable. Apologies if this seems like a daft question but if you don't know !

If it like my Axi one. When changing blades i have to lower the outfeed table to gain enough access. So that will be one reason. The other is so they can be adjusted to keep the co planar to each other.

Also means when you have honed up the cutters after a few hours work, you can lower the lead off table to the correct height , as you have honed away a couple of thou by sharpening.
It also usually means a bit better quality machine. Regards Rodders

The indeed table is adjustable on a daily basis as this table movement adjusts the amount of cut/timber removed.
The out feed tables height should be set to the cutting circle of the block with cutters in, if the OFT is to high the timber will catch on it when being planed and lift the timber causing it to have a tapered cut. If the OFT is to low the timber will drop on to the cutter block as it leaves the IFT and take out a lump (heal or snipe)
Cheers Peter

It is very difficult to set the knives at excaktly the correct height correspondant with the outfeed table. I would go as far as saying that it is likely to be impossible at least with the oldfashioned stick method that I use. However it is possible to set all knives to an uniform cutting cirkle and after that you can adjust the outfeed table according to the cutting cirkle you got.

Peter Sefton":hkwtnmuc said:
I agree, when I have set up surface planers with tradition knifes I have usually dropped the OFT to give about 6mm of drift to the setting stick and then raised the OFT to the cutting circle.
Cheers Peter

But don't forget that most of the DIY planer- thicknesser's don't have the ability for adjusting or moving the outfeed table Regards Rodders

Back