Two more planes in the collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMUK

Established Member
Reaction score
So that's 13 in total now including the #50 rebate plane :shock: :?

First up, my Grandfather's bullnose plane. Circa 1935/36. I assumed it was a Record because of the blue colour (what remains of it). The iron though says "Seedland Bros, Sheffield" along with an MOD arrow and part number, 194. So now I'm not quite sure of the actual plane maker, unless this isn't the original iron.

I then found out that this plane had traveled with my Grandfather (RAF Sergeant) to Egypt in 1938 where it was obviously well used during his time there. It was also accompanied by a wood brace and auger bits that my dad still has (complete with MOD markings). So this plane appears to be almost 80 years old.

Anyway, I've got it back to a workable condition from an oil and muck covered mess. All this mess however had kept the iron in very good condition and it only took about 5 mins on the wet & dry paper to get it sharp again.

DSC_0079_zps07065820.jpg

DSC_0080_zpsf42d2d37.jpg

DSC_0081_zps2c432817.jpg

DSC_0082_zps92b33d91.jpg

DSC_0083_zps39f643c2.jpg

DSC_0084_zpse85ff85b.jpg

DSC_0085_zpsd17551e2.jpg

Ready for work.
DSC_0086_zps731f6669.jpg

Now, this block plane is a Record. Dad doesn't know much about it except that it was my Grandfather's and the last time he did any woodwork was in the late 1960's. So this plane has to be at the latest mid-1960's. The thumb turn is seized solid and the mouth is badly out of shape. I think it's beyond repair for use but I may be able to clean it up as a display item. I may end up having to sand blast it and replacing the iron but we'll see.

DSC_0087_zps12530ed7.jpg

DSC_0088_zpse2cd8d3a.jpg

DSC_0089_zpsc38ec8de.jpg

Nice. I reckon a dip in some oxalic acid for a bit and the record block plane will be as good as new. :-"

carlb40":wds0ie4w said:
Nice. I reckon a dip in some oxalic acid for a bit and the record block plane will be as good as new. :-"

The iron is fuber. The merest touch on the bench grinder and it shattered. The rear of the mouth also has a big split in the casting. it's pineappled!

I'll pop a pic up later when I can find my USB lead.

This is what comes of storing tools in aquaria. It's on page one of my list of things to remember not to do. :)

The Record plane was only ever a cheapie, aimed at the diy user, so not a great loss.

The little rebate plane is a copy of the Stanley 75. This was a very common plane. As far as I know its only virtue was that it was cheap. It can work, and in a pinch it can be useful, though it's hard to adjust and awkward to hold.
It will work a lot better with the bevel down! ;-)

AndyT":ce6vzgz7 said:
It will work a lot better with the bevel down! ;-)

I'm not so sure about that! :D

Steve, you very fortunate to own tools that were in the family. Clean them up even if you never use them. What wonderful memories they will provide.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I gave said before that you old tool collectors are a funny bunch but when you know their history, and are even involved with it, it all makes sense.

Back