"Vintage" Stanley/Record Number 4 Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inoffthered

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I could do with a plane and have been toying with the idea of going for a "vintage" Stanley or Record.
If anyone else gone down this route I would appreciate any advice or guidance.

I don't usually say this but there is so much stuff on here on this subject that it really would be good to do a search and wade through the many posts.

eBay will get you a nice No.4 or 4.5 for a small Sumer and then is the task of getting it to work. This is where the search and YouTube will come in.

Regards

Mick

Just watch as new ones are listed and put a bid on. It's a buyer's market so you don't need to pay much.
If you want some more persuasion look at Paul Sellers' blog where he repeatedly sings the praises of the Stanley no 4.

It really is a tool every woodworker needs.

keep a sharp eye out for a marples plane the blade and cap iron / chipbreaker are a little thicker and when tuned up they ferform great i sold all my stanley / record planes and now have marples
no7
no6
no 5.1/2
no5
3x no4
just need the three and 4.1/2 to complete the fleet a vintage plane will cost you say £10 and 3hrs to fettle it and your away
i also have a no 4 blade ground to use as a scrub plane today we have more and more choice
good luck freind

MickCheese":24xotr9q said:
I don't usually say this but there is so much stuff on here on this subject that it really would be good to do a search and wade through the many posts.

eBay will get you a nice No.4 or 4.5 for a small Sumer and then is the task of getting it to work. This is where the search and YouTube will come in.

Regards

Mick

Carefully said.... :lol:

I've bought a couple of vintage Records, early 1950s for the right money on Ebay and have been very impressed with them. Certainly a route I'd follow again if the need arises.

Back