What wood is this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what this is?
IMG_0958.jpg

The large piece measures 770 x 265 x 123mm and weighs 27.4 kilos or in old money 30 3/8" x 10 1/2" x 4 7/8" weight 60lb 5oz.

This stuff is really heavy and hard. I tried cleaning the end of the large chunk with the mitre saw and you can see how the saw cut is burnt. The small piece was acquired in a raffle at the local turning club and trying to turn it you realise why it was donated to the raffle.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 214
Standard disclaimer about being a clueless muppet applies, but it looks a bit like Wenge to me?

I agree it looks nice but very difficult to work and a bar steward to turn.

I used some of the smaller piece for some brackets for a lighting fitment at work.

Regards

Brian

Short answer-it's tree wood :) , long answer- it'll be unpronouncable :lol: , right answer haven't a clue. :?

At first look I thought like Chris it might be keruing, but your description of it being both heavy and hard with its tendency to burn as you saw it I think makes Ipê a possible candidate. Slainte.

I have some kerruing from a couple of different sources, yes its hard and fairly heavy but generally not as interesting looking as that - its fairly straight grained and has none of that yellow streak in it.

I have madee a few posts on here that suddenly vanish into the ether!

I'm sure that I haven't said anything argumental or offensive - so what's going on?

Anyway, I think the timber might be Zebrano - look at Kevin Ley's astonishing octangular table of a few years ago!

That wood database is an interesting site. I'll have to read up on the seven possibilities suggested so far, thanks for all the input, it's really helpful.

regards

Brian

Tony Spear":56ya7x4a said:
I have madee a few posts on here that suddenly vanish into the ether!

I'm sure that I haven't said anything argumental or offensive - so what's going on?

Anyway, I think the timber might be Zebrano - look at Kevin Ley's astonishing octangular table of a few years ago!

I have had the same issue. posted on several topics and the posts have just disapeared

Back