Structural engineer costs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't directly woodwork related but I know a few here have done some hefty house improvements and with your help I promise a WIP with some attached woodwork!....

We want to do something quite modest - essentially return part of our house to its original room configuration. The only difference is to remove a section of supporting wall to open up our kitchen/dinning room into a more open space (It will give about a 2.5 to 3m span). Now this supporting wall is only made of 4x2 stud work and only holds up the joists of an upstairs bedroom and one non-supporting partition wall. Our local building control have insisted I get a structural engineer or "comeptent person" to do the calculations. I have now received quotes from two structural engineers who seem to want about £2.5K for their work. That is about half our original intended budget for the whole job! I don't mind paying for calculations but are these really serious quotes or am I being silly? I know there are univeral tables for universal and point loads for bedrooms and stud walls so I presume there are tables for appropriate RSJs to match?

Disbelieving,

H.

I suggest you find a friendly architect and see, as it's not really complicated, if he can either calculate for you or recommend someone.
There was a time when the steel factors would do weight calculations for you but now, gripped by the dreaded eec r&r's this is no longer possible.
surprisingly, it's can be quite complex and sometimes the roof can be part of the equasion. HTH Rodders

£2.5k to specify the size of an RSJ to replace a stud wall made of 4x2's is just stupid.

Yes there are tables that list span's relevant to width and load and its not rocket science, however it depends on your planning departments definition of competent relative to qualified.

Around here structural engineers usually charge around £200 for that service.

From speaking to a local structural engineer, it seems like many are focusing more on larger contracts as of late due to the downturn/recession. The reason being that many small projects were on hold due to a lacl of finance.

In truth, the calculations are not difficult for any engineer, they more than likely have a spreadsheet with the formulas set out (i have personally seen this a few times). Please ensure you use a registered and insured structural engineer.

If you were a lot closer I'd have been happy to deal with this for you for around 15% of the quotes you've already had. £2.5k is pure extortion! There's maybe a few hours work involved in working out the calculations and preparing the report.

I had SE do a report for a property where I want to remove 2 internal walls just before Christmas. He charged me £450 inc vat.
P.

Thanks all,

I'm glad that those quotes were silly! I shall search around a bit more. I think my google search terms are wrong because if I put structural engineer in there are few returns from any local businesses. What should I be searching for?!

H.

Some architects are not able to do the Calculations but when I was shopping around I did see sites where calculations were done online, in the end I got a local man to do it and it cost me £300 for this pretty picture and 6 pages of calculations.

Attachments

• Calculations.jpg
    Calculations.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 156
Get a proper structural engineer in the problem with doing it ypourseld is that often building regs with dispute your calculations and there's a lot of work to go through just to prove your correct. That being said I've recently done an extension on a terrace house using 3 large rsg that supports a whole other floor above and the cost me in the region of 250 +vat for yours I would guess any where from 200-400. 2.5k sound ridiculous!

They can't dispute the calculations unless they are calculated incorrectly. That’s the whole idea of calculations. Here is one page of the calculations as an example.

Attachments

• Calculations page 2.jpg
    Calculations page 2.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 140
I think the quotes I got yesterday were really just p*ss off quotes! I spoke to a few other companies this morning and without them actually seeing the house first hand they are giving ball-park quotes of £250 - £450 +VAT.

Thanks again for all the replies - it was really useful to see roughly what I should be expecting.

Rob - This work is on a tight budget and I am going to be doing the work myself. I am a reasonably experienced DIYer and overall this is a simple project. Although professionals will always be able to do it quicker than me I don't think they would necessarily do it better.

This is my first project where I have really had to involve building control.

Preston - thanks for letting me see the kind of thing I should be getting back. I hate going into things completely naive.

Preston - They have done in the past with engineers that i use, ive had to repeat the same result 3 times each time showing more workings because the guy from building control 'didnt think it worked' even though the results i gave him had all the necessary calculations needed... and these are guys ive used multiple times on new builds and extensions it was just his opinion the math and calculations was fine.. if i had done them myself it probably be more hastle hence the reason its better just to let building control and the engineer sort it out between them.

Yes mate, there are obstinate people in all walks of life but I find if we work with them and follow their advice we can't go far wrong, after all they are there for our protection against dangerous constructions.

Latest posts

Back