Timber Framing Chisel Prototype of Flier Toolworks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco Flier

Established Member
Reaction score
Most of the time I make paring chisels, bench chisels and draw knives, but a short while ago I received a request for a big timber framing chisel. And because I’m always in for something news, I decided to give it a shot.

After some trial and error, I must say that the chisels came out very nice. My customer was happy and I am happy to add a new tool to the product range.

Overall length is 450mm, width 40mm, thickness 10mm, with elm wood handle.

I like the result so much, that I wanted to share a few pictures with you.

448492-438x.jpg

448495-438x.jpg

448497-438x.jpg

448498-438x.jpg

See here for more pictures:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wilco-Flier-Toolworks/165606120309007?fref=ts

Just had a look at your WEB site. The chisels look beautiful. May I assume you are based in Holland?

A couple of questions if I may, which could be in your WEB site and I've just missed it.
1. How close to the tang have you tempered the steel. I.e. How much of the blade is useable?
2. Do you grind / lap the backs of the chisels flat?
3. How thick this is the taper at the end if the bench chisels? I've had a look at the LN Chisels which IMO are very thick at the edges compared to the vintage chisels that I have.
4. What wood is available for the bench chisel handles.
5. What is the lead time from ordering and do your prices include postage?

Hope you don't mind all the questions, it would be nice to find another source of equisit chisels.

Very best wishes.

Hello Deema,

Thank you for your interest, I am happy to answer all your questions. i am lcated in the Netherlands, that's rigth ;-)

1: The blades are completely hardened at a professional heat treatment shop: http://www.pontus.nl/ALGEMEEN/Subpages/OVER-PONTUS.aspx After the heat treatment I only temper the tang to make it less brittle and therefore less prone to breaking. To be short, from the cutting edge till the start of the curves of the blade can be used.

2: I lap them by hand using several sharpening stones.

3: The bench chisels are not tapered. They have an equal thickness of 6 mm over the full length. The chisel lands are around 0,8mm.

4: The woods listed below are the standard choices.
Native Woods (locally harvested by myself)
- Apple
- Cherry
- Laburnum
- Maple

Exotics
- Yellow heart wood
- Purple heart wood
- Padouk
- Pau amarelo
But any preference for a specific wood can be discussed to see what’s possible. A non-standard wood can affect the price though.

5: Since I am a small toolmaker making small quantities of tools per batch, I have to save up orders till around 15 tools to make the heat treatment affordable. I aim to do 3 batches a year as a minimum, so lead time can be around 4 months or shorter, roughly estimated. I am currently finalizing a batch, but the next batch must be ready around April 2014 since we have a Dutch woodwork meeting at that time. So tools ordered before let’s say March can be combined in that batch. Postage is excluded, but pending on the order amount, sometimes I can do something with the price.

I do also a lot of custom work, like chisels specially made to the customers specifications, everything can be discussed. I am quite flexible ;-).

Back