ml8 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerdoyler

Reaction score
Hi all ,just bought a ml8 wondered how old it is.
Serial number N158339 anybody got one around the same number and knows the year.
Also need a scroll chuck for it seen a few on ebay dont know which one is best.
Thanks Gerry

I've got the ml8, but unable to help you on age I'm afraid.
Whichever scroll chuck you buy you will need a spindle thread adapter. I got mine from Charnwood, which converts 1" x 12 t.p.i to M33 x 35. Many chuck manufacturers use this as the native size for their chucks so sourcing one will be easy.
I bought the VersaChuck for mine for various reasons, not least of all cost as I am on a very tight budget. It is a good enough chuck for the limitations of the ML8, but if I had my time over again I probably wouldn't choose the same chuck. It comes with tommy bars which are, quite frankly, gash. I would most certainly go for one which adjusts with a key.
I think one of the main considerations would have to be availability/interchangeability of jaws.

Hope this helps

I've been using my ML8 for a few years now and am happy to compromise on the size issues. It is around 35yrs old. I'll check the serial number. I regularly make bowls in the 5 - 8 inch range, and up to 12 inch outboard. The lack of variable speed frustrates me but you can't have everything.
I bought an Axminster K10 and have never regretted it. I added an insert to allow outboard turning too. They can be got on ebay but although Axminster have changed their standard chuck model all the jaws still fit. It is also operated with a chuck key leaving one hand free to position blanks etc.
Good luck with it.

Hi all, got a charnwood viper 3 scroll chuck on ebay, I can get the 1 inch x tpi adapter to suit ml8 having trouble finding left end or bowl end 7/8 x 12 tpi left hand thread anybody have any ideas where to get one . Cheers Gerry

Latest posts

Back