My new lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dann

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it's almost ready to go... Makes a change from the usual lathe on here!
What do you guys think ? 8)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,467
Nah, won't be any good. No cast iron, only a 1/3 horse power motor when running flat out and I'll bet that bed isn't flat to within 0.1mm :lol: !

But seriously, looks really neat; let's see what it produces.

If you don't get on with it, I will happily re-home it for you, I have wanted one of these for as long as I can remember, just never got round to making one!

Will also be interested to see the results. :)

Well... I have some wind blown beech to turn into a bowl, or 50!!!
Watch this space

Looks the business Dann :)

As long as the "motor" doesn't peg out after the first ten minutes or so you'll have great fun !

Cheers, Paul

Well, I've started my first beech bowl and it's WAY harder to turn on a pole lathe than a power one, not just the physical effort, the actual turning process is so much harder to get the hang of !

dann":2nde9bq2 said:
Well, I've started my first beech bowl and it's WAY harder to turn on a pole lathe than a power one, not just the physical effort, the actual turning process is so much harder to get the hang of !
Worth joining a hokey-cokey class to get the hang of in-out, in-out :lol:

Try spindles first.

Regards Keith

It's pretty hard to get a smooth finish but I think it's ok considering I've never turned a bowl using hook tools !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,093
Looks pretty good to me Dann! I spoke to a few people at a wood fair a few months ago and they all said it's a slow process but even more satisfying than modern turning.

Well, either you are doing something right .... or you have bought a bag of shavings to make it look as if you are.
=D> =D> =D> =D>

Way to go , just wish I had the ability , and the energy . :(

I have never seen a pole lathe in the " flesh " so to speak buy yours looks great.

Looking forward to your finished items .

My second bowl, I like this... So much fun '

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,007
Back