Bandsaw HELP!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coote

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Scheppach Basato 4 bandsaw and its always run a little shakily. Having levelled it out and put some weight in the bottom it runs with only occasional vibration. I went to change the blade the other day to cut some tenons, while setting up the stop I noticed that the blade was leaning forward by a few degrees!! Turns out the wheels are not aligned. I have managed to get the top wheel off by removing the circlip. Alas, the top wheel can only be adjusted forwards. I removed the circlip on the bottom wheel and tried to remove that to see if I could adjust that. It's having none of it!

Any advice on either, how to remove the bottom wheel or, another solution I haven't thought of would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom, I have its bigger brother, the 5.
On mine, and I'd be prepared to bet on yours too, the bottom wheels is on an axle which is held in place by four bolts. These are factory set and should not need adjust WRT each other. However, if the whole wheel assembly needs to be moved in or out, you need to slacken those four bolts off, reposition the axle and tighten them up. They must go back to the same position, especially the East-West pair, otherwise your blade will just be shrugged off as soon as you start up. So I suggest that when you do slacken them off, count the number of turns so that you can get it back easily.
S

Steve,
Thanks for the quick response. I have loosened said bolts. But can't get the axle to budge! Can I hit it with a hammer? will that nudge it out into alignment ?

TBH I've never had to do this, but if you start hitting it, bear in mind that it is running in a bearing, which may not take kindly to being hit.
S

Also, with the circilp off the front, shouldn't the wheel come off?

Many thanks for your answers Steve

Tom

I too have a Scheppach Basato 4 and just checked it. FWIW the wheels are essentially co-planar (as near as damn it) though both wheels are slightly toe-in at the top i.e. top of each wheel is approx. 2mm further away (whilst viewing said wheels) than the bottom.

I haven't ever had occassion to remove the bottom wheel but it may be worth checking other items first e.g. remove blade and belt between motor and bottom pulley. If the vibration remains then this suggests a problem with the motor (I had one bolt work loose) or the machine's base/feet are not supported adequately.

If that passes the test then replace the belt between motor and bottom wheel pulley (but still no blade) and start it up. If vibration returns then that suggests the bottom wheel is to blame - whether its an alignment issue, bearings or balance (have any weights fallen off, leaving the wheel out of balance) will then need investigation.

Someone on this forum posted this video recently, which I found interesting and, iirc, claims that the wheels do not necessarily need to be aligned.

There is no point in stripping this saw down unless you know the cause of the problem.
The fact that the wheels are not in line will not make it "shake"

That is a good point.
The wheels should be in alignment, and it is important if you are using it to cut joints like tenons or dovetails, where you have to stop at a particular point. But that in itself should not make it shake.
Are the wheels balanced? Take the blade off and spin them by hand. Do they always stop at the same orientation? If so, then there is a heavy spot. If it is random, then the wheels are balanced.
S

I would like to point out I don't own a bandsaw or profess to know anything about them, i never used one

I watched a recently posted (on here) video about setting up a bandsaw

I sure the "demo man" said they should be out of line, and leave well alone

just my 2 penny worth input

wish i could find the link

Steve

p.s. I just ordered a bs and sure I will get the best advise on this site

edit I found the link :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

SteveF":mfcnrzms said:
I would like to point out I don't own a bandsaw or profess to know anything about them, i never used one

I watched a recently posted (on here) video about setting up a bandsaw

I sure the "demo man" said they should be out of line, and leave well alone

just my 2 penny worth input

wish i could find the link

Steve

p.s. I just ordered a bs and sure I will get the best advise on this site

edit I found the link :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

I have watched that video a couple of times and the statement that the wheels are set by the manufacturer to be slightly 'out of line' and the saw blades should have the base of the saw tooth in the 'center' of the wheel.

I don't own a band saw yet, but look forward to tuning it well after seeing this video.

Alex

Back