Bog Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi does anyone use bog wood for carving?

I only ask as I have some large pieces and would rather put up here rather than E@"£
I never put them in "for sale" section as I just seeing if anyone uses the stuff first

Steve

If they are 'unusual' shapes and a decent size, try advertising them on a tropical fish forum. Decent bogwood is always in demand for aquariums :)

I use bog wood for pens, it's beautiful stuff, and especially if its oak, can take a gorgeous finish.

I've never seen larger pieces available to be honest, and I'd love to have a crack at some.

Might be able to arrange a trade?

Nic.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

nicguthrie":43c126kr said:
I use bog wood for pens, it's beautiful stuff, and especially if its oak, can take a gorgeous finish.

I've never seen larger pieces available to be honest, and I'd love to have a crack at some.

Might be able to arrange a trade?

Nic.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Get yourself to the local aquarist auctions, you can pick up pieces of bogwood under 12" long usually for £1-£2. :mrgreen:

Hi

If only :( - Local aquarist's auctions in the North East of Scotland :(

I've seen carved bog oak but never turned any - love to give it a go, must come up like ebony

Regards Mick

Spindle":39wrb3et said:
Hi

If only :( - Local aquarist's auctions in the North East of Scotland :(

I've seen carved bog oak but never turned any - love to give it a go, must come up like ebony

Regards Mick

You've just missed Aberdeen's winter auction, 'twas 28th at Broadhill pub opposite Pittodrie Stadium. Keep an eye on Aquarist Classifieds for local auctions :wink:

they came out of my aquarium

they are too big for most aquariums....would go thru gap in top

I know i could get a good price on ebay , but just thought I could do someone a favor without the fees

Steve

Mr T":wve6u1ya said:
Hi Nic

Take a look at this larger piece of bog oak! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19722595

Chris

Granted that's big, but you should see the ancient bog Kauri they excavate in NZ... Forward to the end of this for a view. http://youtu.be/nU2vcYuutWA

I'll not squeeze in if someone wants the large pieces for proper carving, but if you get a lack of interest, and I can meet your price, I'd love to see if I could manage to process a chunk for some small stuff. I plan on making jewelry come summer, along with my pens and stuff. I wouldn't be averse to making a couple small bowls etc too.

Nic.

i will get some pics in the daylight

they are outside...staying damp
but i guess would need to dry out before posting due to weight

i will find a home for them indoors somewhere

Back