Where do you get your wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabeta279

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for a whole pile of timber for building a workshop, just reasonable planed white or red wood will be fine.

Where's the cheapest place to source timber? Online appears to be pretty cheap, but don't know if there's any particular sites preferred?

Knapp saw mill will look after you there are just out side dundee that's were I got mine form they use local larch and cut to size or from stock and deliver

The wood used in construction does not have to be planed.
I always use rough sawn if the customer accepts it and if I can get it. A rough sawn 2x4 is 50x100 mm while a planed one may be as thin as 42x92 so rough sawn gives you more strenght for less cost. Rough sawn siding is generally considered more durable. It is also easier to build with as sizes generally fit into a modular system with multiples of 25 mm (approximately one inch).

Travis Perkins for rough sawn larch - there must be one near the OP. Sawmills - not sure if James Jones comes that far south but they are not too bad. If you wanted a long trip, Delgano Chemicals (!) near Inverurie are amazingly cheap for fencing timber.

Back