Dust Mite and Systainer Drop Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are my additions to my Festool CTL midi. First up is my home made wooden systainer drop box. Made out of some cheap ply I had laying about. I'm very pleased with the result. No WIP I'm afraid. Rather than try and cut the four tabs into the base I made them from birch ply then recessed them into the base when I was happy with their position. I also added a t-loc knuckle and correct snapped feet so I can attach my cleaning kit under with which is in a t-loc systainer. The lid has a rubber gasket to make it air tight and the inside is painted white. I considered buying a sys 4 and adapting that but this cost me absolutely nothing except time. I also think the sys 4 would be tricky to make air tight and I wanted to be able to take the whole lid off not just hinge it up

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 15,529
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15,527
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 15,518
I bought from eBay a "dust mite". As far as I can see pretty much identical to a dust deputy but the inlet and outlet are not tapered. Cost me £42 free postage. Cheaper than getting a dust deputy in this country or shipped from US and same price as a dust commander but that has a large shipping fee. I'm pretty pleased with it. I made a rubber gasket to go between it and the drop box.

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 15,431
Next job was to join the midi to the dust mite. Buy chance the elbow that fits into the midi on the 27mm hose also fits the pipes on the dust mite. So I just put the hose from the midi on the inlet to the dust mite and then bought 2 more elbows and a length of festool 27mm hose for the connection between the midi and the dust mite. Big thanks to Nuts and Bolts (powertool-supplies) for being the cheapest place to buy the elbows, for having a scrap of hose the right length they were prepared to let me have for the price of one metre and for joining it for me. Oh and getting it to me the next day. Anyway I'm amazed I didn't need to use any reducers at all. It all fits very neatly and also comes apart easily

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 15,454
Oh yeah, and it works. Brand new filters and just a bit of staining on the enter acne to the bag the rest in the drop box

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 15,436
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 15,436
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 15,435
Very impressive, something I would like to make for myself.

Do you have a link to the plastic cyclone supplier? I have just searched for "Dust Mite" on Ebay but am unable to locate the product.

Regards.

dj.

dj.":1qnoytsz said:
Very impressive, something I would like to make for myself.

Do you have a link to the plastic cyclone supplier? I have just searched for "Dust Mite" on Ebay but am unable to locate the product.

Regards.

dj.
+1, I came across a "DUST COMMANDER" at £42.99 + £16 delivery from France - not as cheap as the OPs item

I bought the dust mite a couple of weeks ago. The seller had 4 listed for £42 plus free P & P and they took about a week to sell, including one to me. They then listed 4 more the following week for £43 plus free P & P which sold out in a couple of days.

The dust commander looked the same to me but I didn't want to pay the postage from France.

Hopefully this link to the ebay listing will work. They haven't got any listed at the moment but try contacting them they may have more

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221296884080? ... 1439.l2649

Hope that helps

Mark

Looks good I would have more fun using a traffic cone, some pipe and a tube of mastic! Probably make it for less than a tenner

Adidat

adidat":1crx863m said:
Looks good I would have more fun using a traffic cone, some pipe and a tube of mastic! Probably make it for less than a tenner

Adidat
it's one of the many things I have already done in my head, ready for when I retire - I even collected a few varying sized plant pots to tape together to use, with a paint kettle at the top !!!

Adidat I did consider making my own, in fact I have a large one that I did. However went for the neatness of this this time. Looking forward to seeing yours though.

Mark

im off to get a kebab and do a bit of cone hunting!

saw some on the m5 this morning but i'm not that brave!

anyone know a cheap source of shipping barrels?

adidat

The Bear":1u90mue1 said:
The seller has listed a load more of the dust mites on eBay if anyone is interested

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1315724621

Or search dust mite dust cyclone on eBay

No connection to the seller other than happy customer

Mark
Thanks for that Mark, you state you are a happy customer and it's working for you ? What is the power of your vacuum cleaner ?

Off the top of my head I have no idea. It's a festool CTL midi. A quick google should provide an answer.

Mark

The Bear":2qm79flh said:
Off the top of my head I have no idea. It's a festool CTL midi. A quick google should provide an answer.

Mark

Indeed it does. The Festool site says 400-1200W, I suppose I ought to try to compare the other data items, such as airflow and vacuum with my Draper (which is 1400W). By chance I found the instructions for it last night. Or I could just get a cyclone and try it - I already have a suitable bucket and two hoses

Thanks to The Bear for his information and photos on this subject, this enabled me to source a cyclone on eBay as I'd been struggling to find them in the UK.
I love the plywood Systainer, though I am planning something a little taller to add protection to the cyclone whilst on site, and to give storage for my compact cleaning set parts.
Now I just need to find the time to build it!

Just a thought fusstool, if you put another set of clips on the lid you could take the pipes off the cyclone, turn it upside down and transport it in the box thereby protecting it. The pipe would also probably store in the box as well. Wouldn't protect it on site as such but would make it robust and easier to transport. Mine lives in the workshop

Mark

Back