aldi forstner bits heating up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazel

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone used these? If so anyone had an issue with them heating up?

I was using one for a tealight holder yesterday (though not again as realised that 35mm isn't large enough lol so the next one will be passed to my partner to make a whole on the lathe), and I found that the bit and the wood were both seriously heating up. At first I thought it might be the wood as I was using black cabbage bark which is something I've never worked with before, so I gave it a go on some oak and then some sycamore but the same issue occured. I'm going to try sharpening them today, but was wondering if anyone else had found this issue

I haven't used the Aldi ones, but a cheap set I bought from Lidl were similarly rubbish. Blunt and pretty useless. Sharpening might help, but I doubt they're made of decent quality steel in the first place.
Possibly of use for non-critcal work, but for anything serious I use a good quality bit.

bit annoying as the aldi stuff usually isn't bad for the price. I'll see if sharpening makes any difference

If you have never sharpened them and are using them on hard wood end grain at high speed, I would not expect them to work at all.
So attack the two things you can change - sharpen them and go very slowly.

But expect disappointment - 35mm is a big bit and needs a slow speed. Forstners are better on side grain, in my experience - a sawtooth bit is better on end grain.
If you don't want to pay a lot more for something properly made from hard steel, I think you would be better off making a small hole for clearance and then using gouges and scrapers to excavate the hole.

tried sharpening them and tried lower speed, same issue... then had a go with my partners dads forstner of the same size and it cut fine. So thinking it is the aldi ones that are the issue

Following a recommendation here a couple of years back I bought a Screwfix set It is surprisingly good value and performs well - not something I'd say about all SF products.

code no 83345 - £35 for 16 sizes 6mm - 54mm
They are on special offer from time to time but not right now.

Latest posts

Back