What products to use to get this colour on air dried euro oa

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone used osmo oak uv oil? http://www.morehandles.co.uk/osmo-uv-pr ... tAodR3QAVw

I'm trying to darken the oak down to what is in the picture. Euro air dried oak is what the door will be made from.

If that isn't the answer then can anyone suggest a good way of doing it that incorporates uv protection?

Darker%20door.jpg

I would guess that that has probably been fumed and oiled, or at least that is how I would replicate it. You may get away with a stain and then oiling. I don't think that the dark oil will go dark enough.

You could try experimenting with some bichromate of potash, as this is a chemical reaction rather than a stain. I can't see any reason why osmo wouldn't go over this as a finish.
cheers, Richard.

richarnold":1s3x7m2w said:
You could try experimenting with some bichromate of potash, as this is a chemical reaction rather than a stain. I can't see any reason why osmo wouldn't go over this as a finish.
cheers, Richard.

I just googled this and it looks like you can put any finish over the top. How much do you reckon would be needed to give the frame and door a good coating?

Stormer1940":jx9xkjfm said:
richarnold":jx9xkjfm said:
cheers, Richard.

I just googled this and it looks like you can put any finish over the top. How much do you reckon would be needed to give the frame and door a good coating?

A small amount diluted down in water go's a long way, so not much. Make sure you do some test pieces on some scrap to get the right shade. The stronger the concentration the darker it gets. You also need to put some of your finish of choice on to see the overall effect.
Cheers, Richard

Every time I see Ronseal mentioned, it reminds me of the letter in "Viz" a few years ago, where the guy was moaning that it didn't say on the tin that it was going to leave his front door looking as if an African elephant had wiped it's arrse on it. :lol:
I admit it's my opinion of the stuff as well.

phil.p":36odijdr said:
Every time I see Ronseal mentioned, it reminds me of the letter in "Viz" a few years ago, where the guy was moaning that it didn't say on the tin that it was going to leave his front door looking as if an African elephant had wiped it's arrse on it. :lol:
I admit it's my opinion of the stuff as well.

I kind of get that feeling to lol

Back