Can anyone tell me what this makers mark is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
It's on the iron of an old woody that I've had un-touched for ages. The writing is indecipherable but I thought someone may recognise the crest?

Attachments

• 13B.jpg
    13B.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 1,145
I can't see te pic very well maby you should clean it a bit and then someone should be able to help.

TT

Yes, I think it needs a clearer photo, or a pencil rubbing or both. Sorry!
Check if your camera has a macro setting - it can be a big help.

AndyT":2vdbcfx2 said:
Yes, I think it needs a clearer photo, or a pencil rubbing or both. Sorry!
Check if your camera has a macro setting - it can be a big help.

Ha! done all 3, had the drill wire brush on it, pencil rubbing was just as bad as the picture, and yes the camera was set on macro. I couldn't get it to come out any clearer. The writing is not readable even with a magnifying glass. I was just hoping someone may recognise the crest. Thanks anyway.

I think I might have found it. Do you think the lettering could be MOULSON BROTHERS around the arch with CAST STEEL and SHEFFIELD in two horizontal lines?
About 1825 to 1883.

Wow! Thanks Andy. I'll see if I can clean it up any more. The plane is a little coffin woody with a steel sole. I suppose the iron could have come from anywhere?

Well, anywhere in Sheffield...

collection-4-popup.jpg

The lower lines might be like I said or like this.

Yep thats it. I've brought the iron into the house and under a strong light with a magnifying glass I can make out 'brothers' now you have said that 'Moulson' is a little harder to decipher. Underneath it says 'guaranteed cast steel' on the 2 horizontal lines.
Do you have a link to where you found the info Andy?

Thanks Andy. I've googled it and done some reading up. They were making blades from 1825 to the early 1900's. Seems they had a couple of arms to the business. Quite a few Moulson planes on the internet, but none with a steel sole, which leads me to believe the plane may well be original and has been 're-shod' when worn underneath. It was my dad's and I've never bothered with it. It will remain an ornament now and get passed on to my son., Maybe I'll make a nice heir loom box for it with some provenance. I've no idea where my dad got it from but his grandfather (see my avi) was a Journeyman Joiner, so you never know.

I have some Moulson gouges and they are excellent. Why not sharpen your blade and give the plane a try? You could be in for a pleasant surprise.

rxh":1yaaotdx said:
I have some Moulson gouges and they are excellent. Why not sharpen your blade and give the plane a try? You could be in for a pleasant surprise.

Believe it or not, I set the blade and tried it when I first got it out of the cupboard. It cuts like a dream! The blade has a good edge on it. I have owned it for 30 years and never touched it. I know my dad never sharpened it, he wasn't a hands on guy.

Back