Bench Vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I am at the stage I need to build a work bench
but on a small scale
I am limited to space and need to make a hinged lid for it so I can turn it into a table top as well
we are talking small scale of about 4 x 2
storage not needed below so will over-engineer legs to add some weight
I want to fit a bench vise to it , but
I really want to be able to fit it to the front or end according to what I am working on

If I fit it to a board say 12" square , I will be able to lift off and turn 90%
hope this is making sense
how would I then hold it firmly in place but still be able to "quick release" it from bench to turn it around
I sort of have an idea of dovetail slide but need some way to lock it in place

any thoughts ? please

Steve

I suggest you buy a simple clamp-on "table vice" and move it around as required. You can add bits of wood to increase the clamped area if you want; if you buy two you can hold quite big things - I did for years. This sort of thing:

220025_l.jpg

There's also a 1970s Stanley design in alloy which is quite good and cheaper to post than most other vices on ebay.

just watched the video

I like them

maybe just throw my vice on a seperate box\board and use them to clamp it if I need it for anything

AndyT":24e61da5 said:
I suggest you buy a simple clamp-on "table vice" and move it around as required. You can add bits of wood to increase the clamped area if you want; if you buy two you can hold quite big things - I did for years. This sort of thing:

220025_l.jpg

There's also a 1970s Stanley design in alloy which is quite good and cheaper to post than most other vices on ebay.
not sure i could put up with keep tightening them clamps tbh

SteveF":395hjxcd said:
not sure i could put up with keep tightening them clamps tbh

I'm afraid that would be essential. You would also need to tighten the jaws occasionally, using the big handle - that's generally the way with a vice. I hope that would not be too much trouble.

so many choices

the parrot and zyliss may be a bit difficult to find I think

the hold fasts may be the quick solution
whilst I search for the above

Back