Iron hardware on oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to hand an exterior oak T&G door with T - hinges. The door is to be left unfinished, I'm wondering if I use traditional iron hardware there will be problems with iron staining when it rains. The door is reasonably sheltered, but will get the weather sometimes I expect. Any thoughts?

If it were mine I would fit the ironmongery and let nature do the rest. Here there are no end of oak doors outside and they all end up going grey despite the efforts of coating with various finishes. Grey oak with staining from metal work looks good. It is what I have on my barn.

Thanks all, I think I will run the options past the client and let them make the decision!

Stainless steel won't react with the tannins and go black. You could probably get away with good quality black japanned ironmongery as well.

Never noticed any significant unsightly stains in old/ancient Oak doors fitted with iron hardware when that's the only thing they had, presume it could have had some high contrast stains associated with it for a few years after first build.

If the oak is unfinished it will absorb moisture from the environment during wet weather and give it off during dry weather.
To prevent any staining from your ferrous hardware maybe get it powder coated or paint with good enamel
I've seen the black japanned stuff rust fairly quickly outside
Matt

Any steel hardware will rust fairly quickly whether painted or not. The only practical solution is to get hardware that has been properly galvanised. You will need to treat it though before painting or the paint won't take properly

I have used waxed iron work on my oak barns doors I am happy for nature to take its course, but at the end of the day it is down to the client.The choice of T&G with tee hinges sounds very traditional to me but they may want stainless steel I fear any other treatment to the steel apart from galvanised will ultimately fail.

OK, thanks everyone, lots of options there, will have a chat with client next week, and see what he says!

I agree but some of them don't see it that way. I didn't post that to have a dig. I just find it funny when a customer quotes that exact phrase.

That's OK! I will just ask them if they mind iron stains, and if they do I will suggest galvanised, or painted with the proviso that it might not work 100%....

Back