Radial Arm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
are ras better than mitre saw or is personal preference?

I have both but never used ras

Steve

depends i guess. The radial is fixed in place and has an induction motor. The mitre saw is brush motored and mobile. I prefer the idea of the radial because i dont do site work, and would rather have something that is set up permanently. I wouldnt fancy buying a RAS new though.

my ras is a dewalt (green)

my mitre is elektra kgs 301 with induction

have issue with fence on mitre saw
it is one piece but seems bowed ...it is 15 years old tbh

a straight edge shows it is pushed out\forward at the ends

Radial arm saw is best in a fixed workshop mitre saw best for mobile use.

+1, so long as it is a good quality radial arm saw. RASs can have much bigger capacity, quieter, more versatility. I wouldn't touch one that didn't have a cast iron arm. A good RAS is a brilliant tool, super accurate when set up properly: a bad or worn out one is a nightmare, you'll spend most of your time adjusting it....

I swear by my Dewalt radial arm saw and it is probably one of the most used tools in my workshop - with that said though I mainly use it for right angle cross cutting and keep it set accurately at 90 degrees. I tend to use a rexon chop saw(Non sliding) for my mitre cutting and have it set with an 80 tooth tct blade solely for this purpose.

The set up works well for me

Not only does Dodge swear by his RAS, he also talks other woodworkers into buying them!
Seriously it is brilliant for cross cutting and making tenons and, like Dodge, I keep mine at 90 degrees and using a Hitachi chop saw for mitres or mobile work.

Ebay is the way - just ask Dodge!
I must admit that I did have to carry out a major reorganisation of the workshop after being persuaded I needed one (and a morticer) but I now have a workshop that doubles as a Tardis that Doctor Who would be proud of.

No Glynne I didnt persuade you to buy one - you just experienced how versatile they were in my workshop and realised that you just couldn't live without one!!

For reference I have recently changed my DW110 with a long reach DW1251 that was absolutely mint and I piad just over £200 for it.

My new one in the foreground - Old DW110 on bench in background

Damn, not long got rid of the craving for a RAS and this thread pops up #-o

I know an old bloke that's got one of the small models just sat in his garage as well...

Must resist...

I also have two RAS and wouldn't be without them. i have the De Walt 718 for mitres and like the rest only use the RAS for 90 deg cuts. It is so much easier to cut a trench or tennon on a RAS as the blade sits completely behind the fence, to do this job on a SCMS you have to space the timber out from the fence to get the cut full depth. This in my mind makes the RAS invaluable in my shop. :wink:

Back