Single phase Motor adapting the mounting/pulley config?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My father's taking on a project to 'refurb' an old 3 phase Meddings rather than using an inverter, and seeing as I've just set mine up with an inverter I think we need to get some more insight into the options.

Basically, it's £170 for a B56 frame single phase 0.37KW motor. but for a single phase motor with a modern shaft diameter/mounting it's around £70.

Now, does anyone happen to know which mounting option would be easiest to adapt? I'm thinking if I can find a 1PH motor with a similar mounting plate I can bolt it to some steel and drill it out to fit the mounting plate on the drill!

So assuming I can adapt the mounting plate to bolt onto the drill's bracket. We're left with the pulley/shaft bore, the current motor is a B56 frame with a 5/8" (16mm) shaft yet all the replacements I can find are 14mm shaft diameter.

So, I see that I could buy a 14mm stepped pulley like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-ALUM ... 51a0378678

(after confirming the diameters are the same) OR. I could try and adapter the new motor shaft to fit the original pulley.
I have no idea if it's possible to adapt the motor shaft or how I'd do it. Maybe with the steel tubing? or if it's just a really bad idea in the first place!? haha

Could anyone offer some advice?

Much much easier fitting a VFD
And you get variable speed to boot
Buy a secondhand one off ebay for £50 ish
2 switches and a pot few minutes wiring and away you go
No contest on a drilling machine
You could spend hours and lots of cash changing motors as you have found out

Ian

Back