More 'bad wood'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
This is or was a piece of cherry that has been hanging about for a while. It was the junction of several branches and by the time I got to it was pretty spalted. I didn't have the nerve to stick my fingers inside to sand so just turned it as clean as I could. Right, back to the ordinary stuff.

Pete

]6.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• seriously rustic vase 7.jpg
    seriously rustic vase 7.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,287
  • seriously rustic vase.jpg
    seriously rustic vase.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,287
  • seriously rustic vase 6.jpg
    seriously rustic vase 6.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,287
  • seriously rustic vase 3.jpg
    seriously rustic vase 3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,287
I do these pieces in between commissions Nev and really enjoy them. I am going back to my roots in a way as when I got back into turning most of the things I made were rustic. Now I just need to get my head around taking decent photos.

Pete

I don't blame you for not sanding the inside of that piece :shock:

Anyway your tool work is as good as any sanding you might try .

I love that type of turning Pete . That looks a real beauty , great satisfaction when it's finished .

Nothing wrong with your pics. either, mind you this is from someone who has more pics. of his fingers than anything else .
Thanks for posting pete .Really love that sort of turning .

God Bless.

I'm a lover of rustic and I certainly like that Pete
| think My missus could find a place for that ........... :lol: :lol:
Don't blame you for not sanding inside but as said your tool work is of such a high standard =D> =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

Gnarly Dude! Nice work.
I acquired some similar looking pieces of what I was told is Horse Chestnut yesterday. I am going to wait until I have more idea of what I am doing before attempting to put a gouge to them though.

procell":1kw0s1nj said:
Gnarly Dude! Nice work.
I acquired some similar looking pieces of what I was told is Horse Chestnut yesterday. I am going to wait until I have more idea of what I am doing before attempting to put a gouge to them though.

I have been told Horse chestnut is inclined to split, but never used it myself. I do have access to the odd bit of False Acacia (Robinia) used here for fence posts sometimes 8-10 inches diameter. The grain/figuring looks nice but no idea how stable or how it would turn. Any here know ?

woodfarmer":2qitethl said:
I have been told Horse chestnut is inclined to split, but never used it myself. I do have access to the odd bit of False Acacia (Robinia) used here for fence posts sometimes 8-10 inches diameter. The grain/figuring looks nice but no idea how stable or how it would turn. Any here know ?
Robinia has some gorgeous colours and grain in it. It can be pretty we IME and can warp after turning if turned green. I didn't have too much problem with it splitting though. Mind mine had been down a long time before i got it and cut it up.

Pete

Give it a go. You can always soak it on one of the wood stabilizer solutions that people have been talking about in these forums.

Back