Chisels- wood beveled edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matjos26

Reaction score
What is a good make of chisels? after my tools were stolen years ago ive replaced them with a rubbish make but now want to upgrade Erwin Marples looks good. im fed up of low quality tools with low grade steel

For general use I always use Marples blue chip.
The problem is that the new ones are made of cheese so make sure to buy older ones, there are always some on eBay.
Quite often you can find a complete set for around £40.
Merlin

I bought a set of these bahco ones :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3709...ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83&ff19=0

10/15 years ago and they have been brilliant. if mine were stolen today i'd be getting them again without even looking at anything else.

when I first got them I asked a machine operator at the local tech to put an edge on them with their big sharpening wheel, he did so and when he gave them back he said they were the hardest blades he had ever sharpened, and I think they use Stanley Irwin etc at the college.

initially doing a lot of site work but now in a workshop they've been brilliant, I bought them on offer from a local builders merchants, not from the link above obviously, I just used that to show which type I bought, don't know this seller.

and the handles are designed for site work, i'm pretty sure they were saying it was fine to hit them with a hammer rather than a mallet. which makes them great for knocking the paint tin lid back on after opening it with the other end.

if it seems like a bit of a sales pitch, that's because there are very few tools that I have bought that have exceeded my expectations, but these are one example.

Nathan Davies

( CEO Bahco Tools ) :lol:

I have some Crown that keep a good edge, I think the Bevel chisels are about £12 a throw, very under rated. They, like the Narex are bench chisels though, wouldn't last long on site. I use Stanley FatMax for site, they stand the abuse but don't stay sharp long.

Marples with boxwood handles :) I picked up a biggish collection on eBay for £50 delivered. Some were the same sizes but you never know when the will come in handy... You can definitely tell the difference in quality when you pick them up.

P.S Bevel edged

Back