structural insulated panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
does anybody know about these? I get the general concept, effectively a torsion box/laminated structure. From drawings and youtube, i think that i understand the erection method of continuous foot plate down, panel up and then a continuous header.

Do trusses just sit on this header beam? it doesnt seem quite right to have no vertical studs!

This is only for a single garage sized structure, so I cant reap the speed benefits that a house sized project would. Are they an item that i could make myself- some pu or eps insulation, some osb, glue and tracksaw? the majority would be 8x4 or 8x2 panels, one window, an access door, a garage door. Any electrics would be face fixed, so the benefits of CAD cut factory panels are limited on this one.

They are commonly used to infill modern timber frame buildings, instead of the mud/clay/brick/lath etc that was used in previous eras of our history. So at least in that application, the oak frame is creating the structural integrity. I watched once when they were craned onto a small cramped site to do a timber framed houuse. They seemed to be about 4 inches thick and had window and door openings already cut in. But they went in quickly. When I worked in a UPVC factory we made big panels which were I suppose a simple type of SIP, 6mm ply (10 x 5) with 25mm foam sandwiched between. These were used in conservatories I believe. But I am sure you could do something simlar yourself. We used a sort of green adhesive which was activated with moisture.

SIPs seem the way to go for me. I've had a few quotes for SIP structures and have found a company who appears to be able to give me what I want.
As trusses go, my understanding is that it is quite possible to eliminate trusses altogether by using a glulam ridge. The roof panels just fit between the walls and the ridge.
I'm assured that assembly is straightforward, but not a one-man job.

The big advantage of trusses for me is that extra bit of storage, particularly for boards. Although it is slower, they are probably a lot easier to handle too- SIPS seem to be craned into position on roofs, from what I have seen.

I assume that your plan is to have a factory built workshop delivered to you for assembly, Steve? I think that mine will be more a case of using as many "standard" panels as I can, and adapting some more- I already have a structure where it is going that I want/need to replace in sections.

Correct.
I must admit the issue of getting them up there is one that does concern me a bit, although the sales lady said that they could make them narrower to reduce the weight.
But I do want it to be trussless if that is possible - I want height and I want it clear so that I can light the place properly.
S

well, if you do go for sips, make sure you have an army of friends to help placing them on the roof.

I only had 2 mates to help, but we did manage, with some forethought [ a rare thing in my house :oops: ]

to get 18 x 4m x 1m x 8cm sips onto the timber frame, the next morning once the moisture was "burnt off" I was up there dragging the panels into the right position for screwing down.

IMHO, these panels are the DB's for getting a water tight roof with insulation in the quickest time.

hth,

K

ps; photos to come l8r

Back