Record 050C beading stop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
I have a Record 050C - no don't laugh, I quite like it, curvy handle and all.

It is unfortunately missing the beading stop, and now of course I'd quite like to make some beaded T&G for the back of a bookshelf ... Is there any chance of finding a spare somewhere, or a drawing / good photo to help make one ? Or should I just use it as an excuse to buy yet another plane ? :oops: :wink:

I was looking at replacing a few bits for my Record 050 (not a C) a while ago and was keeping an eye on the spares here: http://www.oldtools.co.uk/tools/Spare_Plane_Parts.html

They don't look to have a 050C beading stop at the moment but I may be worthwhile checking back now and then.

I was planning on replacing so many parts I eventually decided it was better to buy a whole new tool on ebay for not much more than buying the few odd parts would have cost me, which may another option. I've found it handy to have two planes I can keep on different set-ups (recently having one for tonguing and one for grooving has saved a bit of time).

I don't have a spare - sorry - but if nobody comes up with a spare I could provide pictures and dimensions.

I hadn't spotted the spares section on the oldtools site. It looks like it should be worth keeping an eye on it. They have a 045C depth stop - which is the same as the 050C depth stop, so quite close ...

I thought a bit about making one. The simpler design on the older 050 (and most other planes !) with a locking screw would be easy enough, but I'm imagining that the compression locking system would be hard to get right. My threading is too wobbly, I fear.

Thanks folks.

The design is a bit over-complicated, I think. The beading stop doesn't need to be adjustable for depth, just snugged up so that the bottom of the skate sits in a groove on the stop. You could just have a threaded rod sticking up from the beading stop, with a nut to pull it up tight.

So all you need is a strip of metal with a groove filed next to one edge, a cutout to clear the blade, and a vertical screw which does not stick out the bottom.

Really, I'd just buy a wooden beading plane... Doesn't cost that much, probably just as much as a replacement beading stop.

That's probably a good pragmatic option, I think. It will probably do a better job too, having a proper mouth.

Well, what a lovely surprise arrived in the post today, nicely crafted in brass by AndyT:

bead_stop.jpg

Sorry my photo doesn't show it off as well as it might - but it fits perfectly, and I particularly like the little collar shaped to fit the top surface of the plane. It works too ! I couldn't resist giving it a go, although the bit of offcut oak floorboard I had to hand didn't have the most cooperative grain.

Thanks hugely to Andy. I never expected such generosity - I owe you twice now !

Attachments

• bead_stop.jpg
    bead_stop.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 91
I'm glad it worked!

It was the perfect excuse to do little bit of metalwork and play with my new lathe.

Back