Routing advice and instructions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I read this is the direction to proceed.
The attached picture from the Trend manual, does the written instruction conflict with the diagram? It does to me but perhaps I am wrong?

trend router 1w.jpg

Attachments

• trend router 1w.jpg
    trend router 1w.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 132
It's not very clear is it. The diagram is fine but the arrow showing the rotation could just as well be the other side of the cutter pointing the same way as the movement.

I don't get how you move in the opposite direction to a spinning cutter.

Andy I agree I would also work the same way but the diagram shows the cutter going the same direction as the router, yet the written instruction says it should be the opposite direction?

Imagine the cutter is the wheel off a toy car with a rubber tyre on it on it's spindle, and you are rolling it down the edge of the board whilst holding the other end of the spindle between finger and thumb. Now, whilst still travelling down the edge, turn the spindle between your finger and thumb so that the wheel is going in the opposite direction to the one it will follow if you just roll it along the edge, the tyre is now spinning against the natural direction of rotation and dragging against the wood. This is the direction the cutter must turn, so that the cut pulls the cutter into the wood rather than racing it away down the edge as if it were that little wheel with a motor attached..
The direction you move the router must always be so that the little wheel is spinning in the wrong direction. Hope that helps.

The instructions are correct. If you look at the arrow showing the direction of rotation it is curved showing the rotation of the cutter. The other arrow is showing the direction the router is being pushed which has the advancing blade going into the work. If the router was pulled backward this would then be a climb cut (moving away from the advancing blade) Router cutters always rotate clockwise when viewed from above. HTH. :wink:

The diagram is correct its the wording that conflicts imo.

And there are other instances in the manual, I think it is most probably translation problems, I returned the first router earlier this week because the manual stated the spindle only required slight movement of the collet to obtain a locking position but the flats on the spindle are opposites and movement is 180 to 360 degrees on some occasions. (It was very stiff as well)

Random Orbital Bob":2hzyddtm said:
is the new one OK now Devon?

Yes, the operating lock button is not so stiff and because I now understand that the instruction "SLIGHTLY" is not to be taken literally, I am happy. A perfectionist would find nits with the finish of the tool.

Example if using the base frame as a fence the distance varies to the bit slightly if router is turned.

Back