Formica/Worktop Laminate for router table - DIY laminate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After toying with which method to chose to make my router table top, I decided I need some opinions.

I'm likely to buy the INCRA router table insert when making my router table top, I would ideally like to end up with the white/formica type limated top thats smooth and durable, but I can't seem to find anyhing!

I've looked at worktop suppliers, B&Q and eBay etc and I can only find Formica Laminate veneer, which I can only think to glue onto 36mm MDF I've laminated from two 18mm sheets? If I make the router table with good support underneath the top, wdo you think it's worth investing the £25-£30 in formica veneer or is it likely to become warped MDF top in no time?

People have mentioned finding some suitable worktop surface rom DIY shops like B&Q but I can only find expensive "Marble effect" glossy laminate or textured unsuitable worktop. Does anyone know of a source of suitable worktop or possibly a better/cheaper source of formica type veneer I could use to make my own top?

Regardless of which I choose, I want ti to be flat, so what method of supporting the worktop do you guys think would work best in keeping the top flat and strong?

Thanks!

My B&Q has a small area next to the cutting station where they sell off the off-cuts*. You might find something there (I mean in your local B&Q, or mine, M621 Junction 1)

*Years ago I got a worktop off cut, about 600mm x 800mm for not much money, more recently I got a 2000mm x 150mm x 25mm piece of MDF for £1 which will be useful (for something. perhaps a new top for my workmate)

Ikea bargain corner! They sell good quality work top, very durable and solid. There is almost always work top that has been dropped on it's corner that they can't sell. I got a piece 2.4m long and (almost) too heavy to lift on my own for £4.50 a couple of months ago. Much better quality than the stuff from B&Q and the like.

You could also try Freecycle - you might find someone who's had a new kitchen and thinks the offcut is too good to throw away.

Thanks, I haven't actually seen any kitchen worktop that would be near suitable except the ultra glossy, marble/granite effect stuff.

Has anyone seen the formica type worktop anywhere? specifically smooth, durable surfaced worktop either MDF or chipboard laminate.

Other than that I think I'\ll take a stab at laminating my own MDF top or finding an offcut of standard glossy worktop.

Thanks

Could try looking on LLandaff laminates website or give them a ring. Pretty helpful guys. Had delivery today (south of Bath) of four worktops. Its a dark grey / nearly black any good? Will let you know if I have any left at the end of the week.

I know a couple of folk local to me who have gotten cheap worktops from kitchen fitters fairly cheaply, new ones with a bit of damaged and also ones they had removed from refits. Perhaps something to consider..

For small pieces suitable for router tables etc just give your local kitchen manufacturers a call, they always have off cuts knocking around. Every time we pop in to our local shop to use there speed sander, we always come out with a few off cuts.

We use them for router tables, sharpening stations, washable table (on top of trestles) for glueing up veneers, and the smaller bits we kerf cut and use them as pressure guards etc.

Back