Makita MTL100 Table Saw or Festool TS 55 Track Saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo46

Established Member
Reaction score
Ello people. I'm currentlly tooling up for a refit of my shop (Greengrocers). I own very few tools right now but will need to be ripping 50mm scaffold boards among a few other things like sheet materials etc. I am debating whether or not I need a table saw or not. I don't currently own one either so if I were to get the Festool it would be as a replacement. So can the track saw really replace the table saw? Opinions please!

Cheers,

Tom

Tombo46":1e91002b said:
So can the track saw really replace the table saw?
I've been doing this for a living for the last 12 years, and bought my first table saw last Christmas; I think I've used it three times, exclusively for narrow rips - which is what I wanted it for. As soon as you start throwing sheet materials into the mix, then a track saw (I have the Festool, others makes are available...) really comes into it's own.

For me, a track saw was/is far more versatile than a table saw - but I work mostly in sheet materials, so it makes sense for me. That said, I used my TS55 to rip some 50mm redwood today (standard blade) and it was absolutely fine - though I'd suggest a ripping blade if you plan to do a lot of them.

If you do a forum search, that Makita doesn't seem to have worked out too well for other folks. And as an aside, standard scaff boards are either 38mm or 63mm thick, with 38mm being more common.

HTH Pete

petermillard":3l0vjqvp said:
Tombo46":3l0vjqvp said:
So can the track saw really replace the table saw?
I've been doing this for a living for the last 12 years, and bought my first table saw last Christmas; I think I've used it three times, exclusively for narrow rips - which is what I wanted it for. As soon as you start throwing sheet materials into the mix, then a track saw (I have the Festool, others makes are available...) really comes into it's own.

For me, a track saw was/is far more versatile than a table saw - but I work mostly in sheet materials, so it makes sense for me. That said, I used my TS55 to rip some 50mm redwood today (standard blade) and it was absolutely fine - though I'd suggest a ripping blade if you plan to do a lot of them.

If you do a forum search, that Makita doesn't seem to have worked out too well for other folks. And as an aside, standard scaff boards are either 38mm or 63mm thick, with 38mm being more common.

HTH Pete
Cheers Pete. Much appreciated. The track saw does seem up to most tasks from what I can see and there's no doubt festool put out some quality tools so that may be the way forward. I might have iffy scaff boards as they are 50mm haha. Would you reccomend the TS 75 instead of the 55 for this sort of work then? is there going to be any problem with the cuts if the blade is only 5mm clear?

Thanks again,

Tom

Hiya. Max depth of cut with a TS55 on the rail is 50mm, so you'd be right at the max capacity of the saw; if it's something you'll be doing a lot of, then a TS75 may be worthwhile - I don't have one as 50mm depth of cut is fine for my use, but it's worth noting that the TS75 is significantly bigger/heavier than the TS 55, so harder work when using it for regular sheets materials.

Probably worth a trip to a dealer to check them out and see if you'd be happy using thenTS75 for sheet goods?

Cheers, Pete

If you're ripping make sure you buy a Panther blade with it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Tombo.....not sure if you're aware given you're Sheffield but there's a really excellent tool show coming up 4,5,6 October at Kempton Park down here in the South. Its called the DM tool show, DM being a very spunky tool shop in Twickenham that a few years ago decided to get into the exhibition business.

This is a big gig...over 2 floors with every one of the majors exhibiting there and also doing demo's, masterclasses etc. They also run numerous "show only" promotions so that might help justify the petrol. The value to you is that every tracksaw and its wife plus the table saws are all on show and being used....so you really get to see the choices under one roof.

Might be worth a trip.

Random Orbital Bob":kmy3wl45 said:
Tombo.....not sure if you're aware given you're Sheffield but there's a really excellent tool show coming up 4,5,6 October at Kempton Park down here in the South. Its called the DM tool show, DM being a very spunky tool shop in Twickenham that a few years ago decided to get into the exhibition business.

This is a big gig...over 2 floors with every one of the majors exhibiting there and also doing demo's, masterclasses etc. They also run numerous "show only" promotions so that might help justify the petrol. The value to you is that every tracksaw and its wife plus the table saws are all on show and being used....so you really get to see the choices under one roof.

Might be worth a trip.

Cheers. Kempton park isn't a problem. I keep/breed lizards as a hobby and one of the biggest reptile shows in the country is down there. I tend to have a table there every year so know my way =] I was looking at getting something a bit earlier but I might just hang on for a while and try to keep myself busy in the mean time. I've got 100 Scaffold boards that could be sanded down in the mean time haha.

Is the show strictly exhibit only or can you purchase there too?

One thing I was wondering. Will the track be ok on a scaffold board that is 9" long if I were to cut one in half? (as I'm sure it would overhang). Would it be best to line up a board next to it for support?

Thanks for all the replies people! It seems like I would have to go for the TS 75 as I measured my boards wrong anyway. Always measure twice... I don't mind a bit of inconvenience with the size as I could always go out and buy the TS 55 at a later date. I'm told Festool tools will last a long time so I don't mind spending money on them.

Cheers,

Tom

No you can purchase too...positively encouraged in fact :) They do a lot of special promotions there. Personally over the years I've bought a startrite planar/thicknesser (which was delivered 2 days later), numerous DX equipment, all my Bessey Revo clamps because they do bundle deals at the show, a Makita cordless deal, numerous routers, all sorts of gadgets and the odd hand plane. Also I got all my air compressor kit one year as it was a steal. Friends of mine have bought bandsaws and a table saw. The Festool stand is superb there. Last year I had the new bigger domino demo'd cos I was checking them out for door building. The Festool guys will let you play with the track saws as will Mafell and Dewalt and I daresay Makita too.

The one thing I don't own is a track saw so cant advise in that direction (as regards your question re overhang) as my table saw is big enough for sheet goods with a sliding carriage so it never came up for me.

Not sure there's that many Iguana's though :) (Least not at this show)

Random Orbital Bob":346e0jr9 said:
No you can purchase too...positively encouraged in fact :) They do a lot of special promotions there. Personally over the years I've bought a startrite planar/thicknesser (which was delivered 2 days later), numerous DX equipment, all my Bessey Revo clamps because they do bundle deals at the show, a Makita cordless deal, numerous routers, all sorts of gadgets and the odd hand plane. Also I got all my air compressor kit one year as it was a steal. Friends of mine have bought bandsaws and a table saw. The Festool stand is superb there. Last year I had the new bigger domino demo'd cos I was checking them out for door building. The Festool guys will let you play with the track saws as will Mafell and Dewalt and I daresay Makita too.

The one thing I don't own is a track saw so cant advise in that direction (as regards your question re overhang) as my table saw is big enough for sheet goods with a sliding carriage so it never came up for me.

Not sure there's that many Iguana's though :) (Least not at this show)

Cheers Bob! I'll pop down regardless. Would be cool to see it all and have a play.

Is there a table saw you would recommend that I could take a look at? Looking for something in the £400 range.

Tombo46":1atk1hfm said:
Will the track be ok on a scaffold board that is 9" long if I were to cut one in half? (as I'm sure it would overhang). Would it be best to line up a board next to it for support?
Yes, just butt two boards side by side to support the rail if you're ripping a board in half. Sounds like you'll be after a 3 metre guide rail as well... ;)

petermillard":e8f4evpw said:
Tombo46":e8f4evpw said:
Will the track be ok on a scaffold board that is 9" long if I were to cut one in half? (as I'm sure it would overhang). Would it be best to line up a board next to it for support?
Yes, just butt two boards side by side to support the rail if you're ripping a board in half. Sounds like you'll be after a 3 metre guide rail as well... ;)
Found some deals on the E of Bay that look fairly promising. I'm looking at purchasing the RO150 too so wouldn't mind one of the festool dust extractors. There are a few bundle deals for the saw, 2 1400mm tracks and the MIDI dust extractor for £750 which look quite promising. I'm learning more towards the track saw as I'll be doing a few angled cuts across several boards for end pieces of my units. A jigsaw would be no good due to the depth and it would be tricky on a table saw.

HI Tom

as a former MLT100 saw owner (mine burned up after minimal use, just after i tuned it on, its was under no load) i would not reccomend them, mine was a pig, noisy, flimsy, inaccurate & sometimes firghtening to use, it felt cheap & i would not have dared run large boards through it... i owned mine just over a year got very little use out of it bufore it tried to set fire to my house, the hardest work it did was chopping a fence post to length.

in the end it went back to makita who rreplaced it but the new one was just as rickerty, i replced it with the bosch GTS10 XC which is an amazing bit of kit & worth the extra money i had to fork out, it eats everything i throw at it, is very quiet & was fully set up & 100% accurate straight out of the box. within an hour of it arriving i was ripping leong lengths of 2" thick oak.

giantbeat":1rrmotoh said:
HI Tom

as a former MLT100 saw owner (mine burned up after minimal use, just after i tuned it on, its was under no load) i would not reccomend them, mine was a pig, noisy, flimsy, inaccurate & sometimes firghtening to use, it felt cheap & i would not have dared run large boards through it... i owned mine just over a year got very little use out of it bufore it tried to set fire to my house, the hardest work it did was chopping a fence post to length.

in the end it went back to makita who rreplaced it but the new one was just as rickerty, i replced it with the bosch GTS10 XC which is an amazing bit of kit & worth the extra money i had to fork out, it eats everything i throw at it, is very quiet & was fully set up & 100% accurate straight out of the box. within an hour of it arriving i was ripping leong lengths of 2" thick oak.

Thanks for the heads up!

Back