A bit of fun with wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieJ

Established Member
Reaction score
As well as making oak frames, I also dabble with oak for a hobby. :)

underway1.jpg

wavy1.jpg

p1120578.jpg

onexk.jpg

dscf9391e.jpg

61428201.jpg

Much more to follow, including the full making of this 3.6m high pole.

15600602.jpg

Lovely stuff Eddie everyone worth looking at, unlike some 'art' Will you put some finish on the wavy one at the top? The one with the teeth could be a Lamprey, they have a mouth full of teeth on the side like that, they clamp onto bigger fish and feed off it. They are full of blood and make good bait when fishing for Pike.

Horrible things.
Sea-Lamprey.jpg

Attachments

• Sea-Lamprey.jpg
    Sea-Lamprey.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,168
Before getting back onto the bigger stuff again, here are a few smaller pieces.

I try to do as much of the cutting as possible on the bandsaw.

dscf9070p.jpg

These mice take about an hour and a half to make.

dscf3434.jpg

dscf3435a.jpg

Business card holder.

59805688.jpg

This horse took about an hour, but I have just never got around to finishing it off properly.

onehv.jpg

threewx.jpg

Half hours work, and I really must get around to finishing it.

dscf3361y.jpg

The deer take about 20 minutes to make.

dscf3174e.jpg

dscf3176t.jpg

Sorry Grayorm, yep the wavy sculpture was later finished with Danish oil, then yatch varnish.

dscf9483q.jpg

9pmo.jpg

A few more larger pieces.

s9j5.jpg

ip0x.jpg

seedone.jpg

g10j.jpg

I still need to fix this horizontally with stainless tube to the wall behind, then I can do away with the blocks of wood.

g12ob.jpg

More to follow. :)

I love the imagination going into that stuff, I don't like everything, but I must say that the animal/fish thing with the teeth in the mouth is brilliant/stroke-of-genius.

Cool, my kind of woodwork. If only I had the time, the wood, the skill and the vision. GuesI'll have to settle for looking at the pictures

Thanks for all the positive comments.

For those that have asked via PM, I mainly use an Arbortech mini grinder. I'll post up a bit about the tools etc later on. :)

But for now, here are a few more photos.

tbhz.jpg

cuqe.jpg

qb0d.jpg

p1130003z.jpg

g20l.jpg

g13x.jpg

90074638.jpg

acutabovetherestphotoon.jpg

Thanks again for the nice comments. :)

And sorry Melinda_dd. :)

The wood for the T light holders has probably been seasoning for about 4 yrs. All of the T lights are just made from off cuts of fire wood that are on my log pile.

I would imaging that anything that has been left for a year or so should be okay though.

The deer were simply copied from a youtube clip, and I just figured that by adding a base, the appeal of them was greater.

I did a demonstration weekend a year or so ago, and took along this little lot to give away to any children that happened to turn up. I also gave them a bit of sand paper to take away, with the idea of trying to encourage them to have a play with wood. It's nice to give a bit back. :)

dscf3142s.jpg

The mice aren't quite so easy, as you need a very large piece of wood to begin with, and it has to be perfect with no splits.

dscf9068.jpg

dscf9069g.jpg

If anyone fancies making the mouse, here is a sketch that I made.

mousedrawing001.jpg

The mouse also looks good as a flower holder.

dscf8623a.jpg

Back