Which planes to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for a while and thought it was time to make my first post.

I've been building my collection of power tools for a while now and have been neglecting hand tools up until now. I've just moved house and have a shiny new 10 x 8 shed as a workshop courtesy of my very understanding wife. I really want to get in to woodworking and decided it's time to replace my £5.99 Homebase hand plane.

This is where I get confused... what do I buy? I don't know what all the numbers mean (no.6 etc) or what a block or smoothing plane does. What would you consider to be the most essential type of planes to get first for general woodworking, and what brands would you recommend? I know Stanley are popular but there are loads on ebay and I don't know what to look for. I'm looking to spend as little as possible to get good quality gear, so any help is appreciated.

Many thanks :D

Berserker":56zxys6u said:
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for a while and thought it was time to make my first post.

I've been building my collection of power tools for a while now and have been neglecting hand tools up until now. I've just moved house and have a shiny new 10 x 8 shed as a workshop courtesy of my very understanding wife. I really want to get in to woodworking and decided it's time to replace my £5.99 Homebase hand plane.

This is where I get confused... what do I buy? I don't know what all the numbers mean (no.6 etc) or what a block or smoothing plane does. What would you consider to be the most essential type of planes to get first for general woodworking, and what brands would you recommend? I know Stanley are popular but there are loads on ebay and I don't know what to look for. I'm looking to spend as little as possible to get good quality gear, so any help is appreciated.

Many thanks :D

What plane you need depends entirely on what you want to make - give us a little more background, and advice will be forthcoming.

BugBear

If you only have one I find a number 5 a good all-rounder. As wizard says - older the better.

For general woodwork, joinery / furniture making -
All-purpose first buy: Quangsheng No. 5 Bedrock Pattern Jack Plane
£129.50

Second buy later on: Quangsheng Standard Angle Block Plane
£79.50

A good balance of effective build quality / price.

Or second-hand, similar-sized OLDER Stanleys, but you'd have to learn how to divine their age before buying ...

longinthetooth":actz1d2q said:
For general woodwork, joinery / furniture making -
All-purpose first buy: Quangsheng No. 5 Bedrock Pattern Jack Plane
£129.50

Second buy later on: Quangsheng Standard Angle Block Plane
£79.50

A good balance of effective build quality / price.
he said cheap

wizard":3fmr5w7a said:
he said cheap

A relative term, and he didn't use that word. He asked for a balance of cost and performance & I suggested 2 ways of achieving that.

Hi, you want a all-rounder so I would say a no5 1\2 as it will do every thing you need. Then get a block plane, QS Is what I just got but a bit ££ so get on eBay and get your self a cheap record block and plane.

Or of you want cheap cheap get some wooden planes they work cost next to bout and are widely available once again eBay or a carboot sale will do the job.

You won't need alot of hand planes as they are very versatile, so all in all you will need a:
Smoother
Jack
Joiner
Block (low angle)

the only down side with a eBay or carboot plane is it will need to be cleaned, sharpened, restored ect. And time is money so...
Let me know what you decide.

I have a spare record 0110 and a anat no4A with footprint iron that I want to sell. Pm me if your interested
Hope this helps

TT

Hi, you want a all-rounder so I would say a no5 1\2 as it will do every thing you need. Then get a block plane, QS Is what I just got but a bit ££ so get on eBay and get your self a cheap record block and plane.

Or of you want cheap cheap get some wooden planes they work cost next to bout and are widely available once again eBay or a carboot sale will do the job.

You won't need alot of hand planes as they are very versatile, so all in all you will need a:
Smoother
Jack
Joiner
Block (low angle)

the only down side with a eBay or carboot plane is it will need to be cleaned, sharpened, restored ect. And time is money so...
Let me know what you decide.

I have a spare record 0110 and a anat no4A with footprint iron that I want to sell. Pm me if your interested
Hope this helps

TT

As above, 5 1/2, 5, 4, all good. I'd get just one and get good at using it before you venture further.

I have also brought a Quangsheng low angle block plane and No 5 standard jack plane in the last week or so ( from Workshop Heaven, Mathew is a very informative fellow ) and am very pleased with them.
Buying old planes on ebay / bootsales may well be a good way to go but only if you already know a good bit about planes and what you are looking for.

Grahamshed":1jmych1b said:
I have also brought a Quangsheng low angle block plane and No 5 standard jack plane in the last week or so ( from Workshop Heaven, Mathew is a very informative fellow ) and am very pleased with them.
Buying old planes on ebay / bootsales may well be a good way to go but only if you already know a good bit about planes and what you are looking for.

Yeah - best way is to get an experienced friend to buy and tune your first s/h plane.

I got an experienced guitar player to come with me when I bought my first guitar, which was good, but second hand.

BugBear

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll look out for a No. 5 Stanley probably. I've seen them refurbed and honed for under £50 so I'm hoping it will be okay... I can't believe the prices some planes go for!

Thanks again.

Berserker":26mcsk9v said:
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll look out for a No. 5 Stanley probably. I've seen them refurbed and honed for under £50 so I'm hoping it will be okay... I can't believe the prices some planes go for!

Thanks again.

I personally think older record planes area better than Stanley, feel better and made better but that's me, my opinion. (fact) For £50 you could get a good no6 jack and a no4 smoother.
Record all the way- brittish
If you think £50 is alot check out holtey hand planes or infill planes :)
TT

Old Woodie. Tons on Ebay for very little. :) Easier to fettle than silly old Stanley/Record Planes and you won't need to buy the mandatory upgraded chipbreaker and blade!!! £50 suddenly turns into £100+

MIGNAL":3ltqhw67 said:
Old Woodie. Tons on Ebay for very little. :) Easier to fettle than silly old Stanley/Record Planes and you won't need to buy the mandatory upgraded chipbreaker and blade!!! £50 suddenly turns into £100+

I agree about the upgrade, but an old plane will still perform with minor restorating. I've just flatteren the sole of an old woodie using a no8 in a vice upsidedown. So now he needs a joiners plane :)
(I know there are other methods to flattering the sole and by planing ill be opening the mouth ect. And to put an end to that sparking argument I will soon enough inlay a throat piece.

So woodies are good but sooner or later will need work done, its easier than bench planes tho trust me
TT

Hello Berserker

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy the woodworking journey. On a first plane I would suggest the venerable #4 "Bailey" type plane http://gshaydon.co.uk/blog/4-plane/ . Although referred to as a "smoothing" plane it will do a wide variety of tasks. How much you spend is a personal choice with quality second hand from a dealer or e-bay the cheaper option, or the other end of the spectrum you have Lie-Nielsen and the like (mine is second hand).
There is not too much to look for really. Don't bother with a basket case (unless you like restoring tools), something that looks good will most likely be good.
The numbers are a by product of the Bailey type planes. 1 > 4 are generally smoothing planes for fine finishing, 5 > 6 for stock prep, 7>8 preparing long edges. The block planes are for smaller works.
Hope that helps.

Graham

tobytools":3jh075u4 said:
Berserker":3jh075u4 said:

Thanks again.

I personally think older record planes area better than Stanley, feel better and made better but that's me, my opinion. (fact) For £50 you could get a good no6 jack and a no4 smoother.
Record all the way- brittish
If you think £50 is alot check out holtey hand planes or infill planes :)
TT

Thanks tobytools, I'm watching a few old Record ones on ebay too. I wasn't referring to the £50 when I said how expensive they can be, more the £150+ that people are suggesting as budget planes and the £300+ ones I've seen on my searches :shock:

G S Haydon":iz67bjyu said:
... something that looks good will most likely be good.

It's silly to say that to a novice. It's not about how it 'looks' - what can a novice 'see'? Above all it's about how accurate the sole is. How is the novice to assess this?

Back