Internal arched door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I want to make an internal arched door & frame. The top of the arch is std door height. The opening is quite wide about 1150mm I don't have a spindle moulder.
Does anyone have any advice on how best to do this. The top of the arch itself is approx 400mm from the horizontal from where the arch starts to form..hope that all makes sense !
Thanks
Chris

Hi, yes I have a bandsaw, table saw, planer/thicknesser morticer......in fact most machinery.....just don't like the spindle!!

What shape is the opening that this goes into? is it arched as well or is it a standard doorway? what kind of door do you want to end up with ie flush painted, TG&V or panelled? more information needed!

Hi, yes the opening is arched so the frame needs to be arched as well as the door. The door will be 6 panels with a central muntin. Bottom rail, lock rail & rail where the arch starts to form.......have I missed anything....Oh, 35-40mm thick. Constructed from Old Pine to take a wax finish.
Thanks

Chris

At least for the frame there's the lamination route ... lapped and stacked bandsawn segments to form arch with rebate ... sawn close to radius but needs a method of clean-up ...

I think I understand, the jambs are cut in the normal way with a rebate, would I then make up the arch from 3-4 mortice & tenon sections, band saw to the arch template & then laminate the strips to form the rebate.
Or perhaps the arch could be formed with smaller timber, say 1/2" thick 12" long & then laminated up to the frame thickness, obviously following the arch template (oversize) & finished on the band saw. Then add the strips to form the rebate.
Which would be the best method to form the arch ?
Thanks

Chris

Can you describe the arch shape, has it got corners at the spring point? or does it flow smoothly from the sides into the arch and is there a point at the top centre?

Also does it need a proper full frame or would a door lining suffice? ie what is the opening made from is it a solid firm brick or stone opening or of a less substantial wood/plaster construction?

The opening is smooth flowing from the vertical into the arch with no point at the top, yes I guess a door lining would be OK, thanks I hadn't thought of that ! The arch would then be quite straightforward to produce laminated around a former. The opening is brick & plaster so fixing isn't a problem.

Re the frame - you lap the laminations of the head (stagger them) so they build a coherent arch w/o having to cut any joints as such. That just leaves how to joint the arch to the jambs ...

Strikes me the door's the harder part. You could laminate the head of that as well, but the laminae will be seen through the finish? Otherwise, if you were to use solid segments, I would be tempted to spline them together at the mitres (through splines as thick as a tenon would be) - glue up the mitred s/e blanks then saw to the curve and clean up ...

If you made up a lining saw kerf the back face to make it flexible then screw/nail in to place the door stop will need to be bent without kerfing if you can maybe steam it I bit then make up a architrave to cover the edges of lining to cover the saw kerfs, that should do for the lining/frame.
The door will be a lot of work with out a spindle moulder a lot of hand worked moulding/rebates and groves.

Back