Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nev McWood

Reaction score
Hi All.

I've recently invested in some Fatmax chisels. They are yet too be delivered but was wondering if any of you have any input on their quality? (i know its a little late but you live, you learn....)

Thanks
Nev

Sorry Nev, I've not heard of that maker. Let us know what you think when they arrive.

My preference is Ward and Payne when I can find them - usually at car boot sales. Arguably the best chisels ever made and to be had for pence sometimes. Other old Sheffield makes are excellent too of course.
The main trouble with buying old chisels is that they are invariably rust pitted on the flat side. I sort this out on emery cloth stuck to a flat surface with double sided tape.

Hi Nev,

I bought one Stanley Fatmax quite a while back. It was a 25mm which is a common user for me. They have metal strike caps so I was using my Estwing on them. The strike cap broke off and I though about taking it back. Instead I just kept whacking it and it's been OK. After the strike cap breaking I decided not to purchase any more.
One of our guys has a full set of Fatmax and he is very pleased with them.
I have bought the irwin marples http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UriDpivIfjU . They seem very robust and are ideal for heavy less forgiving work.

Had some given to me when they first came out
From what I remember they were Ok , Held an edge for a reasonable time and withstood the abuse I put them through on site work

Back