what low angle block plane should i get?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, im looking to get a low angle block plane, what's the peoples favourite? Pros and cons. I'm thinking either LN as I love the look of their tools, Veritas as I heard great reviews and quangsheng as it comes with 3 irons, there are other models but what do you guys think? And what do you use ect
Thanks tobytools

i have the LN102 which i really like. I bought it from somebody who found it a bit small for large hands. My hands are also quite large. It is worth trying them out if you can because I am told that they are all quite different to use.

marcros":3gcef8pd said:
i have the LN102 which i really like. I bought it from somebody who found it a bit small for large hands. My hands are also quite large. It is worth trying them out if you can because I am told that they are all quite different to use.
thanks, I like the LN, but probably go with the Veritas, i do have a friend who said i could try both. Just interested in what other thought
Toby

I have and old Stanley 60 1/2 wouldn't swap it for anything. I suppose it depends on what you are doing with it and where, I wouldn't want to take an LN or Veritas on site with me.

Matt

I have the LN and the Stanley, I use the LN its much better to use.

Pete

I would say the one that feels best in your hands if you can go try some out.

I bought a LA QS Rabbet Block plane and wish I had waited to ry some out as it doesn't feel great and I think I would have been better of with a separate Low Angle Block with an adjustable mouth and then getting a shoulder plane later.

I actually prefer my 1980's Stanley to the Quangsheng. Whilst the QS is obviously better made it's pretty heavy for a Plane that gets a lot of one handed use. A bit too heavy. It would make a very good mini smoother though.
I also have the Veritas Apron plane which really is suited to one handed use. Very nice Plane but my particular example has a rubbish blade.
Don't discount the humble Stanley 102. I bought one off that auction site with one of the old Stanley rule & level blades - 1890's I believe. Thin blade but a seriously good bit of steel. Makes my Veritas blade seem like a POS (it is). Anyway, 102's are so cheap to buy.

Take a look at the Stanley Sweatheart. The finish is not as good as LN but with a bit of fettling it works very well. I bought the standard angle version last week and I am pleased with the value for money

James C":3187jr0w said:
I would say the one that feels best in your hands if you can go try some out.

Seconded. Most of the tools mentioned in this thread will perform well enough, but the handling is all-important for this tool, and is a very personal thing.

You really need a tool show, a good bricks-and-mortar store, or a forum meetup with lots of friends to try as many as possible.

BugBear

I've ordered the QS LA block. With the 3 irons :)
I'll upgrade in the next year to the Veritas (maby) I like the attachments you can get for it

I've got a recent Stanley 60 1/2. Boy, it took some fettling!
It works OK now, but the best bit by far is the iron (A2 if memory serves).

I had to:

Flatten the bottom and the throat plate.
Fettle the mouth and the 'frog' (where the iron bears down at the sharp end),
Similar flattening/ straightening on the cap iron at the thin end (need to revisit this).
Add a washer under the front knob, so it clamped properly.
Clean up the rebate for the throat-plate so it moved properly and fully.

It's still got nasty sharp-ish bits where the end of the throat-plate rebate meets the nose. If you've got the mouth set fine and you're clumsy, it's too easy to mark work if you slip (like driving two prongs into the wood).

It ought to be a nice plane, but frankly, get an old one and a modern iron. Don't waste the time I did on the modern junk. I'm used to it now and 'have the measure of it' but it's only average - it ought to be brilliant.

And the pouch it comes with is useless for actually keeping it in.

I quite agree though about weight. You use them one-handed a lot and mine is borderline too heavy. The bronze ones would be quite annoying after a while, I imagine.

E.

That's funny as I have a new Stanley SW low angle jack, it worked right out of the box and didn't need any fettling at all. In use it planes like a dream, can be adjusted perfectly and I'm delighted with it.

Rash act to buy anything new from Stanley for a few decades now ... they lost all credibility as far as I was concerned.

It's the traditional type (well a >50 year old design, anyway).

The LA Jack is quite a different proposition, but even in that range the poor quality is obvious. I bought a #92 sweetheart a few years ago. I won't do it again. It's dogged by poor quality machining and silly, thoughtless design.

Incidentally, if you've seen a photo/illustration of a clamp lever on the #92, it's either a prototype or a mockup as they don't have them. All the production versions I've seen have a cheap brass screw. I had to cut a slot in the top of mine with a hacksaw, as it wouldn't tighten down enough to stop the nose slipping. It's also got shims from a beer can to get the adjuster to work properly.

The 60 1/2 was a birthday present, so I couldn't exactly complain.

tobytools":229xw4z3 said:
I've ordered the QS LA block. With the 3 irons :)
I'll upgrade in the next year to the Veritas (maby) I like the attachments you can get for it

Hello,

I don't think you'll need to upgrade, these are good planes. The attachments for the Veritas just turn them into another plane, so keep the QS and get some other plane. :lol:

Mike.

Back