Spray finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradshaw Joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
I potentially Have some Georgian bonded on bar windows to spray finish soon, (well quite a few of them actually) and was wondering if anyone had ever attempted using a glass protective film, and spraying over the top of it once all the bars were attached, as opposed to spraying beofre assembly then touching up the sealants/joints with a maintenance product,

once dry knife the paint edge, remove film and scraper upto knife mark. Maybe i should have a play at the weekend, i have a demo window i could do it to.

The paint is sikkens wf380 applied thorugh an air assisted airless pump.

This type of thing

http://www.transtools.co.uk/hand-tools/ ... x-25-metre

Its the only way i can think of to get a perfect sprayed finish, without making a frame up of the glazing bars/beads and spraying it seperatley.

I've sprayed a set of French doors with Georgian bars.

I masked them with newspaper and low tack masking tape and peeled it off while the paint was still wet.

I was using Teknos micropourous water based paint

Kostello, Thanks for the input, I hadnt thought of that! Do one finishing coat pre assembly, put all the bars on, mask, spray and remove. No need to re mask each coat as there is already 2 coats on prior!

How did the edges finish? the teknos and sikkens products are nigh on identical imo.

kostello":32oa4uo8 said:
I've sprayed a set of French doors with Georgian bars.

I masked them with newspaper and low tack masking tape and peeled it off while the paint was still wet.

I was using Teknos micropourous water based paint

+1 and +1 for the other prefinish 2 coats and just spray a final coat after masking routine.

Failing that TBH the last couple of times when I knew I was going to need lots of coats (usually outside windows where it might rain) I didn't worry too much about overspray, just mask to cover the majority of glass; a couple of days and overspray scrapes right off with a stanley blade and you can get really crisp edges - sometimes the masking is more faff than it's worth.

Bradshaw Joinery":26wah215 said:
Kostello, Thanks for the input, I hadnt thought of that! Do one finishing coat pre assembly, put all the bars on, mask, spray and remove. No need to re mask each coat as there is already 2 coats on prior!

How did the edges finish? the teknos and sikkens products are nigh on identical imo.

I can't remember exactly how I sorted out the edges.

It was a long time ago.......

i do remember that i didn't have to touch up after spraying

Back