Home made hollowing tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no engineer but i don't think mild steel would be strong enough not to bend when deep hollowing.
I will watch with interest though because I am considering going down the same path. Most commercial hollowing tools are simply glorified mounts for cutting tips designed to take only specific manufacturer's tips.

Hi do your self a favour and save some money go to your local shock absorber supplier / garage and ask them for a set of old front shocks that attach to the inside top of the mud gaurd. These shocks have a case hardened steel rod in and it is thick enough for what you want to do. If they wants money offer them twice the value of scrap steel because they are worthless after been removed from a car. I have some which I grind a flat on and drill and tap a hole to attach a scrapper made from a piece of planner blade. Regards Roger C

I have made quite a few of these tools with great success I have used silver steel for the shorter ones Mild steel and stainless steel for larger ones including some with articulated heads

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 2,963
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 2,963
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2,961
Hi

Mild steel will be fine, 7/8" is probably overkill unless you are going really deep - I'd be happy enough with 5/8" for up to about 15" exension from the handle.

I think you may struggle to find silver steel in greater than one foot lengths - it is available but not too readily.

Try and find your steel locally in a fabricators or engineering works - that price in your link is rather steep to say the least.

Be careful if you go down the damper breaking route - some have high pressure gas inside.

Regards Mick

I’ve used 20mm dia MS bar. Got it from the local blacksmith/wrought iron gate maker, saved the ebay postage.
Cutter is 6mm sq HHS bar. Mark length by scoring on grinder and then snapping HHS bar – need eye protection.
Drill end of MS bar.
Grind HHS bar to fit hole and glue with CA. To release use heat to break the bond.
Shape and sharpen cutting end of HHS to suit.

NB the bent bar in photo DOES NOT work. There is too much torque – the end of the cutter needs to be in line with the MS bar – I need to go back to the blacksmith and get a smooth bend rather than the crank that's shown – never got around to it. Ignore clamp in photo it’s just holding the bar for the photo

Attachments

• DSCF1962 - Copy (640x480).jpg
    DSCF1962 - Copy (640x480).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2,915
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions - that's what I love about this site!

I'll have a look out for local suppliers.

Woody - nice handles! Did you make them as well? I was thinking of putting the Sorby scraper on the end so nice to see it works for you.

Thanks for the photos, Finneyb - that's plan B as I've got a few lengths of HSS that I could glue into the end.

Cheers
Stewart

I bought the straight 5/8 toolbar for the big brother system from axminster, £11.00 I made a small carrier from a bit of 1/4 inch mild steel about 1" long and 3/8" wide. I bought square and round carbide cutters on ebay for less that £15.00 and tapped a thread to suit the cutter screw.

I turned a handle from a bit of waste timber, and now have a hollowing tool that can deal with some pretty decent sized bits for very little outlay.

The tool bar from Axminster would suit you perfectly.

Thanks, Kim - that looks perfect and saves a bit of work for me too.

cheers

Stewart

I can Honestly say with confidence that the woody turner tolls work very well I got a full set of them and it goes very deep good thing is all the sorby tools fit the handles and they are well made from a good source I also own the sovereign system along with the sorby 2000and the rolly munro like the short red one for all sorts of bowl turning and the other two on deep hollowing I can say this that they are of equal quality sharping of the carboly inserts consist of rubbing them flat on a diamond stone about four times then screw the tips back on it lasts a full days turning if not longer depending on material your working with
Regards
Bill

Back