Jet JTS-600/SIP 01332/TSCE-12R/Hammer K3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillamb168

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the first two are completely different from the second two, at least in terms of price, but I'm trying to get my head around the best saw for our shop. We don't have a ton of space, probably 3mx10m, so footprint is a concern, although unfolding things for doing panel work will not be a problem as long as it's temporary.

What we'll be doing: some table-based joinery - rabbets, half laps, also miter cuts, crosscuts, ripping etc etc. Mostly using it for shelving/cabinetry and furniture-making. No pro stuff, but I don't want a toy either, otherwise I'd be looking at a little contractor saw. Dust collection is more important than normal because the shed is a shared workshop + brewery + sausage-curing thing.

Other than that, I don't really know what to ask about. I want cast iron, I no longer think that a dado-capable table is necessary (despite the fact that I agree with this guy: http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/Cabin ... rosaw.html when he says "The common Euro response when it comes to the "dado question" is that they are illegal in Europe and there are other (inference = better) ways of performing the same operation. In reality this is at best a lame excuse, the dado blade is a very good way of making grooves, if it weren't, they wouldn't be popular. Although molding heads have lost much of their popularity due to inexpensive router bits, they are still a cost effective method of producing molding.") ... Thoughts?

This whole dado head cutter thing is frought with confusion. In my view you absolutely should get a saw capable of taking a dado stack....ie the Excalibur. It's a far Eastern clone of the very Delta Unisaw used by none other than Norm Abrahm's himself. There is a British distributor and its pretty good value if you don't add all the extension pieces ie comparable with other similar classed saws.

I cant remember the name of the distributor but if you google Excalibur table saw you'll find him.

I know for a fact stacked dado heads are legal in the UK....I'm not certain about France...but if it's an EU directive then it must also be true for France. The problem in the UK is most saw manufacturers don't deliver an arbor long enough to accommodate dado head cutters (despite their being legal).

Random Orbital Bob":2kycug5v said:
This whole dado head cutter thing is frought with confusion. In my view you absolutely should get a saw capable of taking a dado stack....ie the Excalibur. It's a far Eastern clone of the very Delta Unisaw used by none other than Norm Abrahm's himself. There is a British distributor and its pretty good value if you don't add all the extension pieces ie comparable with other similar classed saws.

I cant remember the name of the distributor but if you google Excalibur table saw you'll find him.

I know for a fact stacked dado heads are legal in the UK....I'm not certain about France...but if it's an EU directive then it must also be true for France. The problem in the UK is most saw manufacturers don't deliver an arbor long enough to accommodate dado head cutters (despite their being legal).

I don't want my thread turned into a dado debate again ! :shock: 8)

That being said do you have the link the Excalibur distributor? I wasn't able to find them, and could only find the Excalibur scroll saw on the web.

it is here http://woodfordwm.co.uk/

but the site is pretty out of date- most of the saw models have changed, or are changing. That said "Roy" was very helpful on email. I believe he is the owner, but I have never met him (hence the inverted commas).

marcros":2pwvypan said:
it is here http://woodfordwm.co.uk/

but the site is pretty out of date- most of the saw models have changed, or are changing. That said "Roy" was very helpful on email. I believe he is the owner, but I have never met him (hence the inverted commas).

I have spoken with Roy and was very impressed with both his knowledge and the xcalibur line in general. I think our 'final answer' is going to be the HW110WS, which seems to be a solid saw, and not too pricey at ~2k GBP.

If you're sharing a space you might want to look at dust emissions. The Felder - Hammer stuff will carry labels telling if they meet strict European standards (holzstaubgeprueft)
You might want to look into this with the French equivalent of our HSE or the German BGHM it's an insurance issue for a business
Matt

Back