Gluing and clamping edge to edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiac

Established Member
Reaction score
When gluing and clamping pieces of wood edge to edge, what is the best thing to put down on the bench that will stop the wood being glued to the bench surface but also not be a total pain to remove from the piece afterwards?

(Noob question probably, sorry!)

I use wax paper to keep from making my project a lasting part of my benchtop. Cheap and readily available. I have heard of some who set aside a specific bench for assemblies with a hearty wax coat on top to the same purpose , but I have scant space without adding another table. I wouldn"t be able to get ME in then.
That would be small bits on the table. For larger items (panels and such) I alternate clamps above and below . Wax paper keeps the clamps clean as well.

Polythene peels off easily, and I put parcel tape on clamps.
I linseed-oil my bench every now and then and most glues scrape off easily.

I have used carrier bags, but could well imagine waxy paper being easier (less fiddly and flimsy)

I keep a sheet of about 5x5' old blue underfloor dpc membrane that was left over after we built our house. Its really thick grade polythene so is indestructible when those sharp yet to be planed corners grind on to it while clamping.

That then rolls up and gets stored under the bench when not in use.

I like the idea of taping the clamp jaws too (not done that).

The other thing of course and yet to be mentioned is don't forget to keep a clean kitchen type sponge and bucket of clean water handy and sponge away as much squeeze out as you can.

I keep a couple bit's of 6mm mdf for this. I gave it a couple coats of varnish and wax and the dried glue literally falls off.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

+1 for DPC membrane.

This is what we use as students at Peter Sefton Furniture School and what Peter uses for all his course be it glue up or finishing works.

Each bench has a piece rolled up with a couple of rubber bands. Anything messy, simple roll out the DPC over the bench top, we secure one end in the end/tail vice and use a couple off one handed G clamps at the other.

All our glue block or cauls are covered in brown parcel tape so they don't stick to the piece.

Back