spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgfjoinery

Reaction score
hi guys and gals
I am looking to upgrade my spindle moulder as the 1 I have doesn't have a sliding carridge so I cant tennon on it
I make kitchens and other bespoke joinery windows and doors too but trying to get away from the windows and concentrate on kitchens so I need a good spindle moulder with a carrage and was wondering what peoples thoughts were I only have single phase electric as well my budget is about £3000 maybe stretch a little further but would prefere not too look forward to hearing from you cheers james

Good one Giff. I was actually very surprised by what you can get for the money.

The I tech one includes the sliding carriage, the Sip one does not. They look like the same machine with different badges, the I tech looks the best value to me.

I have the SIP with the sliding carriage. There is one in the illustration in the SIP link.

paul saunders":3n3slyw0 said:
The I tech one includes the sliding carriage, the Sip one does not. They look like the same machine with different badges, the I tech looks the best value to me.

I agree :mrgreen:

Just out of interest, how do you make you tenons at the moment? Band saw?

Are the above apatures big enough for creating large tenons?

Hi guys thanks for the views so far I hav looked at the itech moulders which 1 were you guys talking about as ther is 1 for about £1500 but that 1 doesn't look very heavly build I looked at the mini max t45 and it looks like it has got a lot better sliding table what to do and the answer to your question mryorke is I do mke my tennons on the band saw at the moment cheers guys look forward to more advise please

New machines at this price-point may be borderline as to rigidity, especially regarding motions like a sliding table. So I'd get to handle one - it doesn't have to be running, just to manually stress its bits and see how much give there is. But maybe it could be said that machining accuracy is one half rigidity and one half technique ...

Have you thought about getting a phase convertor then you'll have a larger selection of 3 phase machines which are more powerful, accurate and readily available. Certainly second hand as well.

This is what I'm saving hard for at the moment.

May be an option perhaps?

I have thought about a phase convertor for the exact reason you said mr yorke does anybody have any advise on these convertors as there are loads of different types static rotary and digital im getting confused haha

Have a chat with the tech guys at transwave. Their number is 0121 708 4511

I understand that rotary Convertors are simpler than static. Ie. you just plug your machine in and away you go.

Don't know anything about digital.

Their is an SCM minimax on ebay at the moment with sliding carriage, tilting head and the tooling for tenoning for £2000.

I have the hammer A3-31 planer thicknesser. Bought 2nd hand and once I fetters it works like a dream. Have only used softwood on it but have some oak that I'll try out but doubt it'll have any problems.

They are made by felder as far as I'm aware and the brand is strong. Good products so you wouldn't have anything to worry about if you went for their spindle moulder.

Also, I spoke to one of their tech guys when I was fettling my a3. They called me back when they said they would and have perfect advice. That stands for a lot in my book

I think a phase converter is a good starting point. Then over to finding a good three phase spindle moulder:
-For roughly 3000 pounds you could probably find an elderly full sized l'Invincible or Wadkin or Bäuerle or whatever high quality brand with sliding table and maybe spindle tilt as well.
-If you are as cheap as I am and can live without the tilting mechanism there are plenty of post war flat belt powered spindle moulders floating around. Heavily built cast iron monsters that never wear out. They do not have any built in sliding table but a tennoning sled can easily be bolted on top of the table for tenon cutting. In that case you would have to spend only about 1000-1500 pounds.

I do not know the British market very well but in general machinery seems to be a wee bit cheaper over there than in the Nordic countries so I have calculated with the prize level in Sweden whick should provide a marigin for errors.

Just my thoughts.

Back