Does anybody know what this wood is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsaisid

Reaction score
I got given it out of a firewood pile. its quite heavy and dense, but have no idea what wood it is.

Attachments

• WP_000452.jpg
    WP_000452.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,178
  • WP_000453.jpg
    WP_000453.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,178
Hi

Don't think its yew, the bark doesn't look right - my vote would be for laburnum, does it have hints of green and yellow?

Regards Mick

its definately not yew.
It does have a yellowy green colouration. the barck is almost "leather" like.
I thought laburnum but havent anything to compare it to.

thanks for the suggestions
Andrew

stevenw1963":3rcg5182 said:
Looks like yew

No it doesn't Steven! (I know him well) Its Laburnum, the bark (waxy without ridges or furrows) is a give away to differentiate it between False Acacia which is deeply furrowed on the trunk and ridged on young trunks and branches. Its Laburnum branch wood, you can tell due to the ratio between sap and heartwood, the trunk would have less sap.

Bonsaisid":3p1d4mf0 said:
I got given it out of a firewood pile. its quite heavy and dense, but have no idea what wood it is.

Would strongly suggest you confiscate the entire firewood pile!

Laburnum. I bet the top layer of bark is a bit paper like.

Neil Farrer":wghf2m4f said:
stevenw1963":wghf2m4f said:
Looks like yew

No it doesn't Steven! (I know him well) Its Laburnum, the bark (waxy without ridges or furrows) is a give away to differentiate it between False Acacia which is deeply furrowed on the trunk and ridged on young trunks and branches. Its Laburnum branch wood, you can tell due to the ratio between sap and heartwood, the trunk would have less sap.
I Agree That's not yew ill Go with The tree Surgeon I got a Few here Its Laburnum
Regards
Bill

Latest posts

Back