Reclaiming timber, what do people buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I might be cutting up some old oak doors later this week for a couple of projects - after I'm done sorting the bits I need I'll prolly have some bits left around 24-26" in length of varying widths (the bits left between the mortices, panels etc). Are these worth hanging onto and selling off for a few beer tokens or are they too short for people to run through their thicknessers/planers etc??

I don't really sell any timber so don't know what effort other people are willing to put into cheapo offcuts.

:?:

I think the normal system is to store them yourself for a few years, throw them out, then find something they would have been perfect for! ;-)

Seriously though, so much good timber is thrown out that your bits won't have much value at all. However, do have a look on ebay - there do seem to be people successfully selling small pieces of prepared timber to model makers etc who don't have equipment to prepare their own. If you can re-saw into thin pieces, scroll-sawyers may be interested. The killer is usually the postage costs so you need to look around for a cheap carrier.

Your both confirming what I was thinking. Unless somebody was making some small boxes or laminating up a benchtop or something similar then it could be here forever.

I will only be keeping what I need for the near future, I have a load of timber here there and everywhere atm and I'm out of storage space (I really do need a yard :) ). I do think I was some sort of conservationist womble in a previous life #-o

I'm going to knock up some garden furniture with the bits I'm having (salvager style), I've also got some butt hinges off the doors which I think are iron (?) so I cant cry too much :)

Oak? Well if it's straight grained, knot free and quarter sawn (or near) I'd be interested. . . but it would only be a very small amount, maybe not worth the effort.

Back